(VICT) my bilingual dog

  • From: "The Pawpower Pack" <pawpower@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 22:24:14 -0500

One of the first behaviors I taught my dog mill'E as a clicker trainer was a
hand target; we have three main ones.  One is where she touches the tip of an
index finger which I use as a pointer and the other is a palm-touch and the
third is a fist-touch.  Each has their own uses.
Mill'E also loves to watch me when I am using ASL (American Sign Language) with
other D/deaf or interpreters.

She especially likes it when I talk about her and stares extra hard at me
during those times.

The problem I'm having is that when I do a sign like "where" or "sample" or
"windy" which involve hand positions like the various hand target cues she
thinks I'm cueing her to target which interrupts me and is driving me rather
mad, if the truth were to be told.

I have at least 3 interpreted conferences/meetings in the next month and I need
to figure out how to make clear to her when I want her to target and when I
want her to just watch me "talking" or sleep.

Anyone have any ideas?
iyie yie yie
Smart dogs; can't live with 'em; can't live without 'em.

I'm trying to c/t for laying still and not moving but when I do the target
motion she has stopped responding to it and I think she's confused; heck I'm
confused!

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks!
Rox and the "Kitchen Bitches"
Bristol, Gracy, Mill'E
"Let us permit nature to have her way.  She understands her business better
than we do."  ~Michel de Montaigne
pawpower@xxxxxxx
windows messenger: Brisomania@xxxxxxxxxxx
AIM: brissysgirl