(VICT) Re: (VICT)Debi- Re: Alex- Dog Attack

  • From: Infinitepaws@xxxxxxx
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 14:39:06 EDT

In a message dated 9/1/2007 1:54:15 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
scripto@xxxxxxx writes:
Growling  large dogs racing toward me
would probably make me go on the defensive  very quickly, and clamp my
fingers around that bottle of pepper  spray.

But first, I'd cue my dog into a down position with his head  turned
away from the oncoming dogs.

Debi, I have heard of this position used to avert dog attacks, but want to
know if you have any more information on its use and effectiveness or some net
resources for this type of information..

I have tossed this idea around as something to teach Alex. I am of mixed
opinion on teaching it and would like to see more info. On one hand, it is a
calming position for a dog and non threatening to other dogs. On the other hand

it makes a dog more vulnerable in the case of a true attack.

I think, blind or Vi handlers,without the ability to read the body language
of the approaching dog,  that it might be a toss up. My other concern is  for
the proximity of the handler in such a situation.

As you probably know, and I know from experience(understement) reaching  into
a dog fight nearly always gets you bitten. And instinct sometimes isnt
prudence in such a situation. I admit it, it took a serious bite for me to
finally
decide that I would be better off patching the dogs up after a fight  than I
would reaching in. Ok, I have to admit that I still did just  that, last
spring when a foster dog was killing my old dane Lynard. She  still managed to
do a
serious enough wound that he had to be euthanised. After  being pinned with
me lying on top of her and with me choking her and trying to  get her jaws off
of Lynards head. God, I still miss him. Two Danes fighting is  definitely not
a thing to be taken lightly.

If a dog keeps moving and even though speeding up into harness, keeps
working, it at least get's you away from the not-truly-aggressive attacks but
might
not do anything for a true attack..

Does anyoone know if there is any studies out there on attacks on guide or
service dogs and how effective different responses are?

Sandy Foushee
Infinite Paws-Abilities Training and Service  Dogs
Teamed with Alexandra Guide/Service Dog
Colorado Service/Assistance  Dog Club - Trainer.-