(VICT) Re: Pre-emptive obedience?!

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 02:59:16 -0400

Hi, Gisele,

That's great that Katie wants to play the clicker game by going to her mat!

At first, when the dog performs a behavior that we like, or that we have
been practicing, or that will be useful to us in the future, we want to
click and treat, even if we didn't ask for that behavior at that particular
time.  This is to increase the likelihood of the behavior happening in the
future, or, in this case, perhaps  to let the dog know that going to her mat
is not a punishment, but a behavior that leads to good and happy things.

Later, when the behavior has been clicked and treated many times and is
well-established, then you can "put the behavior on cue", which means that
you associate a cue with the behavior and gradually work toward the point
where she does the behavior when you present the cue, and does not do it
without the cue.  At that time, you might not click and treat if she goes to
her mat when you did not ask her to do that.

But some behaviors are so valuable to us that we might want to reward them
whenever they occur, even if we didn't specifically cue the behavior.  These
behaviors are sometimes called "default" behaviors, or things that we want
the dog to do without a specific verbal or gestural cue from us.  Sometimes
the presence of the handler is the cue for the behavior, or sometimes it is
something else in the environment that is the cue to the animal that this
particular behavior will be rewarded if it is performed now.

For example, you might eventually teach Katie that every time the front door
opens, she will be rewarded for going to her mat, (either by a click and a
treat, or perhaps, by a click and permission to greet the guest who has
entered.)  So you won't have to say anything; the open door becomes the cue
to go to her mat.  This kind of environmentally cued behavior may save the
life of the dog some day, if the door is opened inadvertently, because her
first response will be to go to her mat, rather than to run out the door.

But for now, isn't it wonderful when the dog "gets it" and learns that she
can cause you to turn into a vending machine and produce a reward simply by
performing certain behaviors?!  This is the birth of a clicker star!--a dog
that is thinking about you and how she can please you and how she can keep a
"conversation" going between you and her!

Best,
Ann