(VICT) Re: Parkinson Dogs

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:40:14 -0400

Hi, Brenda,

I once saw a TV piece on the training and placement of a service dog for a
person who had Parkinson's disease.  The dog was a Great Dane, large enough
to give support to the man as he walked.  The dog would also help the man
get started walking when his neurological problem would cause him to be
unable to take the next step.  Evidently, a physical prompt helps the person
initiate the step, so the dog was trained to use its foot to tap on the top
of the man's foot (on the foot which needed to be moved next).  Of course,
the dog could also pick up dropped objects, keep the man on course when he
was headed from one place to another, go for help if the man fell, and act
as a companion, helping to maintain the man's motivation and interest in
life.

I would think that the Delta Society and IAADP would have information on
dogs trained to help people with Parkinson's disease on their websites, and
perhaps the Parkinson's support groups have some information also.

One interesting aspect for me is that the dog I saw on TV was at least as
large as Panda.  And I have heard of another Great Dane service dog in
Vermont, I think, which has flown with his disabled handler.  I doubt that
these dogs can be placed under a seat on the airplane.  So I wonder how and
where they and their handlers ride, and how the airlines accommodate them.
If they lie across the front of the seats in the bulkhead row, I wonder if
the airlines charge the handler for two or more seats.

Hope you find the information you are seeking.

Ann