(VICT) Re: Parkinson Dogs

  • From: "Brenda-Ann Gillis" <hc89x48@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:08:57 -0400

Thanks to everyone who has been sending information about the Parkinson's
dogs.  I haven't had time to check all of them out yet, but do so appreciate
all of your hard work and quick response.

I don't know if a dog could help my grandmother at her age, nor do I believe
that given the present situation if any organization would even consider
such a concept.  It is just heartbreaking to watch the difficulties this
disease poses -- starting, stopping, shaking and falling backwards among the
most terrifying.  It sounds like candidates for such a service animal would
have to be less farther along in the symptom severity, as with the hand
quaking, I don't see how a harness type handle could be reliably grasped
allowing the dog to assist.

Sorry for babbling, I will check out the wonderful information now and
thanks again to all for your help in educating me.

Bren