(VICT) Agression toward men.

  • From: Melinda Rauch <mrauch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:12:00 -0600

Hi all,

Melinda and Smokey, My Mellow Fellow here,

I don't think that any kind of corrective or redirective technique should
be discussed about this dog until the *real* reason for his aggression is
discovered.  Until anyone figures out what, exactly, is going on to cause
this dog's aggression problem, any kind of advice we give this person
probably won't work anyway.

Sharonda, I would strongly advise this person to contact the program from
which this dog comes, if he is program trained, and insist on a follow-up
visit.  If this dog is owner-trained, then she may have to really think
about whether or not she can continue, in all good conscience, to train or
work with this dog.  I think that, in the end, this dog may not be good
service dog matterial.  He may be suited for some other line of work, or
his best job may be no job at all and living as a family pet.  Tell her
good luck from all of us, and I certainly hope that something can be
figured out.

Oh, and for the record, I see nothing wrong with a well-timed,
appropriately given, leash correction.  But, since we don't know what is at
the route of this dog's problem, then telling her anything at this point
might just be making the issue worse.  If she isn't welll-versed in the
principles of positive reinforcement training, she may very well be
rewarding behaviours that could be early signals of aggressive outbirsts
which won't do either her or the dog any good either.  Just my humble
opinion.  I'll put on my flame-proof suit now.

Take care, and be safe out there!

Your friends always,

Melinda and Smokey My Mellow Fellow and April, now our angel dog.
mrauch@xxxxxxxxx