(VICT) Aggression toward people.

  • From: Melinda Rauch <mrauch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 11:06:38 -0600

Hi Sharonda,

Melinda and Smokey, My Mellow Fellow here,

Sharonda, you are right, sometimes more traditional methods are still
appropriate, but as I've already said in my message entitled aggression
toward men, without knowing what is causing the problem, we really won't be
able to give you as much helpful information for your friend as we might
like.  If, for instance, this is fear related, then giving the dog a leash
correction would be completely inappropriate, from my way of thinking
anyway, because correcting a dog when it is afraid may only make it more
afraid.

As to whether or not this dog should be retired, this is probably a
decision that only your friend can make.  I wish her well, and hope that
some kind of resolution can be reached.  Has she ever considered joining
one of these lists, like a school-specific list, or a general guide dog
discussion list?  Maybe if she joins one of these lists, she will at least
feel like she isn't all alone with this problem, and she will have people
to share ideas with?  Just some thoughts.

Take care, and be safe out there!

Your friends always,

Melinda and Smokey My Mellow Fellow and April, now our angel dog.
mrauch@xxxxxxxxx