[vi-android] Re: re has any one setu two factor authentication on aqua mail

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 21:03:14 +1100

Hi Gary,

From memory, as I also have two factor authentication setup but haven't actually setup aqua mail for awhile, what you do with apps like Aqua mail, is give them their own unique password in your Google settings.

You can either do this with the Google authentication app (called something like that, I haven't actually used it), or from a browser. If you go to google and make sure you are logged in and then go to your account settings and security and then 'app passwords'. The link is here but may not work directly: https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords?pli=1

You can then go to "select app" dropdown list on "select device" dropdown list and generate a password button. That's changed since I last used it - last time I used it, it generated a 16 character string which you only saw once and had to copy into whatever app you wanted manually.

The app then has access to your google account using that 'password' until you come back to this page and revoke it.

One thing I've never tried, is to figure out whether you could copy that password and use it to get into your account from something else (eg create a password like that for aqua mail and then try to use it as your login password through a browser)...

Either way, it's best to keep this list of apps as short as possible and cull any you no longer need as you can.

Regards

Quentin.

On 28/10/2014 12:11 PM, gary melconian wrote:
re has any one setu two factor authentication on aqua mail

Hello I havea question and maybe I am approaching this the wrong way. I wantedto try out 2 factor authenticationwith aqua mail,as I got it working on my computer with gmail. Withgmail the 2 factor authentication works well for security purposes as going forward everything with Google will beencryptedso I needto getan understanding of all this. I tried with aqua mail and itisnot working any clues why 2 factor authentication wont workwith aqua mail.

---
is active.