[vi-android] Re: galaxy note 3 vs iPhone 6 plus

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 17:12:09 +1100

Oops,

Just realised I'd meant to answer the later question as well!

I wrote to the KNFB folk on 3rd September asking about Android and received the following reply:

"Thank you for your message and interest in the KNFB Reader iOS app. At this time, our primary goal is to launch a high quality text recognition solution on the iTunes App Store hopefully around the same time that iOS 8 is released. We are definitely interested in developing an Android version of our app and have started work toward this effort, however I am unable to give you a hard development timeline on when this app would be complete. We will be sure to announce the Android version on our website <http://knfbreader.com> once there is more substantive information to report. Please let me know if you have additional questions."

To be honest I haven't had much of a play with KNFB on iOS yet myself, but on Android I use Text Detective - I find it works fairly well without any unecessary hassle. I also have Abbyy Text Grabber and in terms of recognition it does well also, although you have to go through a lot of extra steps such as cropping the picture and confirming you want to OCR THAT image etc which you don't have to go through with Text Detective.

Here's the link to Text directive on the play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blindsight.textdetective&hl=en

Regards

Quentin

On 15/10/2014 4:48 PM, Aaron Linson wrote:
yeah I like the note 4 better, when do you think knfb reader will come out for the android platform? Also what is a good oct performer sense the knfb read app is not yet available.
Thanks,
Aaron Linson
Turning Disability into Ability <http://www.blindpodcaster.com>

On Oct 15, 2014, at 1:17 AM, gary melconian <garymel11@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:garymel11@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Yes it does. why not just go with the note 4. Its got better specs a more
better device and will get android 5. Sooner then any other device in
samsung line up.