[vi-android] Re: galaxy note 3 vs iPhone 6 plus

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 17:08:04 +1100

Hi Aaron,

A couple other points in favour of the the Note over the iPhone as a low vision user myself:

- On the Note, you can customise more, for instance, you can install Big Launcher which gives you large home screen icons. Both platforms now let you use custom keyboards which is good. I haven't tried many of the new offerings on the iPhone, but I did put together a blog post a little while ago on the keyboard offerings available on Android from a low vision perspective: http://qchristensen.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/android-on-screen-keyboards/

- The Note series come with the S-Pen, which is basically just a stylus, though Samsung do throw in some extra features, most of which I don't use, like the ability to activate things by moving close to the phone rather than touching - personally with my vision I find myself more often than not hitting the wrong thing with that running - so I just turn most of that off and use it like a normal stylus, but it does have the advantage of having a holder included in the body of the phone itself so it isn't something you need to carry around with you. I find the stylus good as I can look closely at the tip on the screen if I need to be precise, which is a lot harder with my fingers.

I do like Samsung's quick settings buttons on the notification screen - the text labels aren't huge, but the images with each are fairly large, simple and two colour and easy to tell when they are on and off.

Regards

Quentin.

On 15/10/2014 4:48 PM, Aaron Linson wrote:
yeah I like the note 4 better, when do you think knfb reader will come out for the android platform? Also what is a good oct performer sense the knfb read app is not yet available.
Thanks,
Aaron Linson
Turning Disability into Ability <http://www.blindpodcaster.com>

On Oct 15, 2014, at 1:17 AM, gary melconian <garymel11@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:garymel11@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Yes it does. why not just go with the note 4. Its got better specs a more
better device and will get android 5. Sooner then any other device in
samsung line up.