[vi-android] Re: Question about accessible apps

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 09:19:45 +1000

Hi Nesma,

Welcome to the group!

There are definitely lots of apps which can be downloaded from Google
play which are accessible.

http://inclusiveandroid.tk/ is a new site which aims to list apps in
categories with reviews etc, a little like the AppleVis site for iOS
apps.

http://qchristensen.wordpress.com/ is my blog, and while a lot of it
is aimed at low vision, rather than blind users, I do make an effort
to test the talkback accessibility of everything I mention and I
started a list of suggested apps for Talkback users as well:
http://qchristensen.wordpress.com/sample-phone-setup-options-for-different-users/speech-only-setup/

http://blindbites.com/2014/08/05/current-list-of-accessible-android-apps/
has a list of apps one particular user likes.

I know there are other lists, but if there is anything specific you
are after, do ask here and someone is bound to know!

Also with Android, even with paid apps, you are able to buy an app and
download it, and you have two hours now to try it out and if you don't
like it for any reason, there is a 'refund' button in the Play Store
(where the uninstall button would otherwise be - where the 'install'
button was before you installed it) which you can use to automatically
get a refund.  You don't need to fill in anything or explain why you
want a refund, it's all automatic, though I do feel if I've been
willing to purchase an app but only after trying it found a fatal flaw
(accessibility or otherwise), I would write to the developer to let
them know as hopefully they will be willing to change it and you may
then purchase it later.

Regards

Quentin.