[va-richmond-general] Re: [Va-bird] Henricus

  • From: WEalding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lee Adams" <ladams42@xxxxxxx>, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:28:08 -0400

Inspired by Lee's account of her recent visit to Henricus, I decided to head
over there this morning in search of some year birds.  I wasn't disappointed -
FOS CHIMNEY SWIFT, YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER and PROTHONOTARY WARBLER were among
the highlights.  I was surprised to see that the juncos were still here

Location:     Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area
Observation date:     4/16/08
Number of species:     42

Canada Goose     7
Wood Duck     2
Double-crested Cormorant     38
Great Blue Heron     9     6 on nests
Black Vulture     7
Turkey Vulture     6
Osprey     1
Killdeer     1
Greater Yellowlegs     3
Laughing Gull     5
Ring-billed Gull     1
Mourning Dove     4
Chimney Swift     2
Belted Kingfisher     X
Red-bellied Woodpecker     X
Yellow-throated Vireo     1
Tree Swallow     19
Northern Rough-winged Swallow     3
Carolina Chickadee     X
Tufted Titmouse     1
Carolina Wren     X
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     1     1 seen, many more heard
Eastern Bluebird     1
Hermit Thrush     2
American Robin     1
Northern Mockingbird     6
Brown Thrasher     X
European Starling     19
Yellow-rumped Warbler     1
Yellow-throated Warbler     3
Pine Warbler     X
Prothonotary Warbler     1
Common Yellowthroat     X
Chipping Sparrow     1
Savannah Sparrow     4
White-throated Sparrow     2
Dark-eyed Junco     2
Northern Cardinal     7
Red-winged Blackbird     26
Brown-headed Cowbird     X
House Finch     1
American Goldfinch     2

Wendy Ealding
Powhatan County

In a message dated 04/13/08 20:53:00 Eastern Daylight Time, ladams42@xxxxxxx
writes:
I spent the afternoon at Henricus. I saw my first of the season Yellow
Warbler foraging in the trees at the edge of the marsh along the
entrance road. He was a gorgeous fellow with his red stripes but he
wasn't making a sound. I walked the trail from the boat ramp through
the woods to where the boardwalk used to be. The yellow flag iris were
just beginning to blossom. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Yellow-throated
Warblers were abundant. I heard and tracked down my first of the
season Prothonotary Warbler. Pawpaw trees were in bloom displaying
their curious brown flowers. Rustling in the grass off the path
brought my attention to a turtle quite far from the water.
White-throated sparrows were singing. A Swamp Sparrow flashed
rusty-brown against pale gold dried grass.

Along the chain link fence between the observation decks several
Savannah Sparrows perched or ran along the ground. I was sitting in my
car writing my notes before heading home when movement on the pond
caught my eye. A Wood Duck paraded her 12 tiny babies past me. The
babies would spread out searching for tasty treats until the mother
made some signal that brought them zipping together in a tight bunch,
only to spread back out again in the next moment.

Take care.

Lee Loudenslager Adams
Fredericksburg, VA
ladams42@xxxxxxx

Thank you for subscribing to Va-bird, a service of the Virginia Society of
Ornithology.  Please consider joining the VSO.
http://www.virginiabirds.net/