[va-richmond-general] Henricus

  • From: "Lee Adams" <ladams42@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:52:19 -0400

I spent the afternoon at Henricus. I saw my first of the season Yellow Warbler foraging in the trees at the edge of the marsh along the entrance road. He was a gorgeous fellow with his red stripes but he wasn't making a sound. I walked the trail from the boat ramp through the woods to where the boardwalk used to be. The yellow flag iris were just beginning to blossom. Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Yellow-throated Warblers were abundant. I heard and tracked down my first of the season Prothonotary Warbler. Pawpaw trees were in bloom displaying their curious brown flowers. Rustling in the grass off the path brought my attention to a turtle quite far from the water. White-throated sparrows were singing. A Swamp Sparrow flashed rusty-brown against pale gold dried grass.

Along the chain link fence between the observation decks several Savannah Sparrows perched or ran along the ground. I was sitting in my car writing my notes before heading home when movement on the pond caught my eye. A Wood Duck paraded her 12 tiny babies past me. The babies would spread out searching for tasty treats until the mother made some signal that brought them zipping together in a tight bunch, only to spread back out again in the next moment.

Take care.

Lee Loudenslager Adams
Fredericksburg, VA
ladams42@xxxxxxx