[va-richmond-general] Tidewater Birding

  • From: WEalding@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:29:00 EST

Paul Bedell and I birded the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel Islands today.  The
north wind was brutal, but the large scoter flocks are still around, and
birds were constantly streaming in to the Bay.  Afterwards we paid a brief
visit
to Hoffler Creek Preserve, in Portsmouth near Craney Island.
Species seen:

Tunnel islands:

Common loon
Horned Grebe
Northern Gannet
Great Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant

Brant
American Black Duck (4, rather surprising at this location)
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Harlequin Duck

Long-tailed Duck