[va-richmond-general] Broad-winged Hawk

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Audubon Listserve" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:43:17 -0500

We believe we had a brief encounter with one in our neighborhood around 11:30
am today while we were driving on Falstone Drive. It flew up onto a lightpost
and we saw the tail and body clearly before it flew away. This is the first one
we have seen here. The neighborhood is Meadowbrook Estates, which is off
Hopkins Road, north of Chippenham.

Sharp-shinned and Coopers Hawks have been seen here many times, and we always
have Red-shouldered hawks around. There are many large trees, and some fairly
deep woods nearby, so it's possible. The banded tail was short and the body was
thick like a buteo. It was larger than a crow but smaller than a Red-tail or
Red-shouldered.
We are headed for Costa Rica early tomorrow, so if there are responses, we
won't be able to answer them after this evening.

Linda & Al Warfield