[va-richmond-general] Loft Mountain

  • From: rodney cimburke jr <tauaxis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 08:29:07 -0700 (PDT)

My trip was great!  I hope I don't disappoint the birding purists with my short
list, however.  Sue, I followed your road, but did not encounter Veery there.
I did however come into very close contact with a young male deer, about a
six-pointer.  I actually saw six deer all told on the mountain and not one of
them further away than 25 feet or so!  oh yeah, the list:  Dark-eyed Junco,
White-breasted Nuthatch, Hairy Woodpecker, American Goldfinch, and Common
Raven.  The weather turned wet very fast, first the low-bellied clouds, then
the rain came slanting and spattering through the canopy, then the wet turned
to a persistent, balled fog that continously rolled and churned on a fierce
east wind.  Short list but long, rewarding hike!