[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap Banding session today

  • From: "Bob Reilly" <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:06:32 -0400

For the Dutch Gap banding session today we had a nice turnout of auduboners
and others, both young and less young.  We processed 29 birds of which 27
were new bandings and the other two were recaptures from previous years.  A
Carolina wren caught today was originally banded as a young bird in
September, 2001.  A Carolina chickadee caught today was originally banded as
an adult in May, 2002.  While we banded several species of warblers and a
Trail's flycather (Willow or Alder), the prize bird of the day (of the
season thus far) was caught on the last net check after all the visitors had
left!  Unfortunate timing.  Larry Robinson returned from the nets with the
news that we had a very interesting mystery bird, quite possibly a
clay-colored sparrow!  Indeed, after we examined it closely back at the
station, it turned out to be just that...a young clay-colored sparrow.
Awesome.     The complete list of newly-banded birds today is:

indigo bunting  9
common yellowthroat  4
northern cardinal 2
white-eyed vireo 2