[va-richmond-general] Has anyone else seen this??

  • From: "IE Ries" <FEATHERCHASER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "RAS" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:58:35 -0400

  I just got back from the gym, and I'm really irritated.  While in the ladies
locker room (ours has a television), I saw a commercial for Windex (by SE
Johnson Wax).
  Toward the end of the commercial, it shows CGI (computer generated-image)
birds sitting around outside talking about "Hey, it's so shiny I can see
myself!" to which a bird, obviously portrayed as injured and shaken up because
of a head-on collision with bright shiny windows, replies, "Yeah, I know."

  Now, I understand manufacturer's desires to promote their product, but I take
issue with this particular commercial.  Advertisement at the expense of
wildlife isn't the way to get a consumer's attention - notably mine.  All of us
here know how birds slam into "bright, shiny" windows and mirrors and are
permanently injured or die in the thousands all across the nation and the world
each year.  Many companies have worked hard to develop and offer products to
deter avian collsions, and organizations like this one has and is working hard
to educate the public about this concern.

  And then a company like SEJW makes light of wildlife injuries at part of
their advertising.  It isn't funny and I'm not overreacting.  Please don't
privately or publicly email me and tell me it's in "innocent thing" by the
manufacturer because it's educated and informated citizens like the folks here
who have made companies aware of these sorts of issues and brought about
positive change.  Yes, I know very well that SEJW didn't maliciously think up
that ad, but think about the consequences of people's perception about wildlife
in general, and how more dismissive the public might be to our efforts to make
people more aware.

  I'd like 1) to hear from other and get their thoughts and 2) potentially have
our conservation chair look into making a complaint on behalf of the chapter to
the company and ask them kindly to either pull or revise that commerical.

  I'd like to hear from you.

  Thanks.

  Irene in Southside