[va-richmond-general] Re: Fw: Virginia Birding

  • From: Mary Davis <madanthony3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sschiffman1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:15:02 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Hello from Virginia.  I'm not the expert on peak migration, but I am partia=
l to the Eastern Shore for birding.  Since you're from Minnesota, I'll elab=
orate.  The Eastern Shore is the peninsula that forms the Chesapeake Bay.  =
It is actually attached to Maryland, but the southern portion is part of Vi=
rginia.  Because it is along the Atlantic flyway, it is wonderful for spott=
ing many types of birds from songbird to raptor to water birds.  Kiptopeke =
State Park, at the southern end of the shore with its songbird & raptor ban=
ding areas, is an excellent place to start.  You can also rent canoes or ka=
yaks and paddle along the creeks and inlets for great shorebird sightings. =
 Chincoteague Island at the northern end is about a 2 hour drive from Kipto=
peke.  There is a National Wildlife Refuge on neighboring Assateague Island=
 which is filled with snowgeese and other great finds like glossy ibises du=
ring migration, not to mention the famous Chincoteague ponies.  Assateague =
is also a national seashore and one of the few undeveloped beaches on the e=
ast coast.  I would say late March would be your best bet for the time, but=
 I'll let someone else from the listserv comment on that.  Good luck with y=
our plans and I'll be glad to offer any more information if you want.  Cont=
act me at madanthony3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mary Davis