[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap Prothonotary Project Update

  • From: Bob Reilly <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 19:31:37 -0400

As of today I've banded 135 prothonotary warblers this season at Dutch Gap and
caught 9 returned adults from last year.  The 135 newly banded birds consist of
 11 males, 27 females, and 97 young.
There are an additional 10 unbanded chicks, 25 eggs and several newly completed
nests in the nest boxes as of today. Due to the rainy spell, I missed another
25-30 chicks that fledged before I could
band them. Clearly Dutch gap is contributing nicely to the area's population of
prothonotaries, and the total will go higher before the season ends around July
15th.

Bob Reilly