[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap Prothonotary Project Update

  • From: Bob Reilly <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 22:25:11 -0400

As of  July 5th I've banded 209 prothonotary warblers this season at Dutch Gap
and caught 9 returned adults from last year. The 209 newly banded birds consist
of 11 males, 29 females, and 169 young.  In addition there are another 8
hatchlings too small to band at the moment, and 27 new eggs in the boxes. So
the season is not through yet!  Based on within-season recaptures, a number of
the adult females are raising their second brood of the season.

Finally, on July 4th I caught an adult female that was apparently banded by
Charlie Blem at either his Presquile or Deep Bottom site last summer or the
summer before.  I'm waiting on word back to determine which.  I caught an adult
male at Dutch Gap last year that was banded as a hatchling at Deep Bottom in
1999. Clear breeding dispersal data such as these two records represent is
uncommon and is another indicator of the importance of the Dutch Gap site.

Bob Reilly