[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap Prothonotary Project Update

  • From: "Bob Reilly" <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:54:17 -0400

As of 5/25/04 have banded 155 nestling prothonotaries so far this season.
Have banded 20 new adult females and recaptured 26 adult females that were
banded at Dutch gap in previous years.  We have banded and color-banded
about 55 adult males thus far, although I don't have the break-out of new
bandings versus returns form previous years on those as yet.  Also had three
recoveries of adults that were banded elsewhere, quite likely at Charlie
Blem's Deep Bottom site, but we'll see.  A number of boxes still contain
females on eggs or young that are too small to band as yet.  In addition,
there will be a second round of nesting beginning soon.  Appears to be a
fine year for prothonotaries at Dutch Gap.  The 100 nest boxes are major
success.  One side note: banded a single clutch of seven large prothonotary
chicks today.  Very unusual for such a large clutch to all make it
successfully.  Hats off to those parents. Remarkably, this is the female's
first breeding experience.  She was banded as a nestling at Dutch Gap last
year!

Bob Reilly