[Va-bird] Reminder -- Seneca Christmas Bird Count, Sunday, Dec. 17-- we still need counters and feeder watchers

  • From: Jim Nelson <kingfishers2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 10:36:48 -0500

This is a reminder. The annual Seneca Christmas Bird Count (CBC) will be held Sunday, December 17. The count circle has a radius of 7.5 miles, centered on Violette’s Lock on the C&O Canal on the Maryland side of the Potomac River, and includes important areas of Fairfax and Loudoun Counties in Virginia. Our count circle is divided into sectors each with a Sector Leader.

I am the compiler for the Seneca CBC. The Seneca CBC has been conducted almost every year since 1955. Last year, our 115 counters in the field and 13 feeder watchers racked up 100 species (including 3 never before found on this CBC) and 26,640 individual birds. We could not have done this without the many volunteers who helped us, both old timers and new participants, counting in the field and in their yards. We always need new people to help with the count.

The Fairfax and Loudoun County portions of our count circle (described below) contain lots of interesting habitat and are very important to the success of our count. We need additional folks, regardless of your birding skill level, to help count birds in the field. Doing a CBC can be a lot of fun, a great learning experience, and a chance to meet other birders. Those of you who use eBird will find the CBC to be a natural fit. If you are interested in counting in the field, please contact me. Let me know where you are located and your level of birding experience, so I can place you in an appropriate sector. We love having newer birders join us, and we will make sure you are teamed with a more experienced person for the count.

There is also an important role for folks who can’t get out in the field on December 17 but live inside the count circle and like to watch birds in their yards and at their feeders. You can contribute very useful information to the CBC too.

In northern Virginia, the border of the count circle extends from the Potomac River just downstream of Great Falls, swinging south through northern portions of Reston and Herndon, passing south of Oak Grove, through Sterling, then swinging west and north just east of Ashburn and Lansdowne, coming back to the Potomac near Elizabeth Mills Park. If you live inside this area and you are interested in reporting the birds you observe in your yard and at your feeders on December 17, please let me know. I can confirm whether you fall inside the count circle and make arrangements for you to send in your yard/feeder count.

I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the CBC.

I look forward to your participation.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Nelson
kingfishers2@xxxxxxxxxxx