<USS Lovisa> People Who Need People...

  • From: Robert Butler <rwbutler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Lovisa <usslovisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:42:56 -0400

~~~ People Who Need People... ~~~

Sarah and Joy

The door to sickbay opened with its familiar swoosh. Joy entered quietly, a bit uncertain. She still didn't feel entirely that Sickbay was home. It was a place of many organic mysteries. Still, she had been lurking on the bridge enough. Time to 'do the rounds.'

Sarah wasn't busy. It seemed Sickbay didn't get busy when the ship was on alert, unless people were actually getting shot up. Everyone else was too busy to be bothered with attention to small medical details. Except that darned Ensign Wheeler and his perpetual hangnails. If he would stop biting his cuticles, he wouldn't have that problem... Sarah had run the dermal regenerator over his hands for ten minutes and sent him on his way. She was a little surprised when the door opened and Joy entered, but she stood up and managed a smile. "Counselor... how is everything?"

"Well, thank you. I am glad to be free again. Between Leges, security drills, chases after mystery ships and the anniversary party, I haven't had much time. Yourself? You didn't look quite your best at the party."

Taken aback, Sarah wasn't sure what to say. She started to shrug it off, then sighed and sat down. Looking up at the Counselor, she admitted, "I haven't exactly been feeling very sociable lately."

"I'm not sure I've been at my best, either." Joy hesitated. "Anything you'd care to talk about?"

Now, Sarah did shrug. "Have a seat," she invited, and turned toward the replicator. It was a little tricky to touch the manual controls at a distance, but she only needed the "repeat" button and the simple sequence for a glass of water. The water, and her mug of fortified coffee, appeared, and carefully she called them from the slot to her hands and set them on the desk. "Distilled water," she said to Joy, with a small smile. "I remembered."

Joy returned the smile, accepted the offered seat, and gingerly accepted the floating glass. "Which makes one wonder... Which is the greater oddity, the object appearing from nothing, or floating across the room."

"I'm still not used to doing that in front of people," Sarah blushed. "I guess I thought you'd be a good person to practice in front of, being a Counselor and all." She took a sip of her coffee. "I've just felt so tired and dragged-out lately. And..." she hesitated. "And lonely. Ruthie and Dan keep the kids busy, and Alex has hardly been home except to sleep..."

"Practice away. If things happen often enough, they become normal, if there is such a thing as normal Starfleet. Sorry about my share of any lonely. I've been bridge sitting. I have to remember to get around more, though I can quite understand your husband being busy." Joy looked at Sarah closely. "Is any of the tired physical? I'd be tempted to recommend Rikka therapy, except engineering and security seem to have preempted the ship's most vital social engineering tool."

That got Sarah to chuckle. "It might be physical," she said slowly. "All the literature says the middle trimester is the easiest time of a pregnancy, but I guess that doesn't mean everything has to be perfect..."

"Well, I'm not sure I can help you on the physical side, unless you want me to point some of this equipment at you." Joy looked about the various instruments, dubiously. "I could seek Starseeker, if you like. I might have better luck than security."

"No... I promise I'll have Star and maybe Dan take a look at me in the next day or so," said Sarah. "I think Dan's waiting for me to ask him for some training, anyway. But meanwhile... what can I do about feeling so abandoned, without looking like I'm unstable or too needy?" she asked plaintively.

Joy settled back. "Abandoned is a strong word. Do you feel something owed is not being given?"

"I don't know." She took a sip of her coffee, and then another. "I feel like suddenly we don't have family time any more. Or, when we do, it's so much shorter and more hurried than it used to be."

"More with your husband, the children, or both?"

"Both," Sarah answered quickly. "But especially Alex. I mean, I hope I could ask Dan and Ruthie to give me more time with the kids. I know they're just taking them out of my way so much because they think I need time without them. But since we left Home... it's just been one thing after another that needs hours and hours and hours of the Captain's time. I know I sound so selfish..." she trailed off.

"If it is any consolation, at least a few of the crew might feel a lack of his time as well. We sort of had to organize our own figure- it-out meetings lately, analyzing the sliver ship business. He is quite genuinely busy... But that doesn't answer emotional need." Joy hesitated. "Did you get that memo from his new Yeoman? His schedule, which, by the way, does not include a fixed time to get nagged by the councilor?"

The schedule had not made Sarah very happy. She nodded. "I think it's a bunch of..." she hesitated momentarily, "hogwash." Her eyes flashed with barely suppressed anger. "How dare she schedule his personal family time? Can't he have a little while to himself to decide how he wants to spend it with us?"

"Hmm..." That was a strong reaction. Unfortunately, Joy knew the intricacies of organic family life more from theory than experience. Well, if Sarah was going to open up, to use unusual gifts in front of others... She turned to a nearby computer display, froze, and transmitted a few search commands into the computer system through her wireless network port. Her necklace briefly blinked, and a series of articles appeared on screen, guidelines and statistical analyses of how senior officers, married and unmarried, ought to spend their time. "While this ultimately won't be settled by statistics and reports, let's see if your subjective feelings agree with a few thousand other captain's wives, shall we?"

It was humorous, even if it really wasn't funny. Sarah smiled. "Okay," she agreed, and turned to watch the screen. "What have we got?"

"Well, not every captain runs a rigid schedule... Married captains don't seem to take their schedules quite so religiously as bachelors or those without an on board family... And there are any number of articles, for wives, husbands and councilors, that suggest you aren't the first to have this problem..." Joy's necklace blinked again. A few more windows appeared on the display. "And, yes, there are reports of additional workload and stress by XOs paired with captains having family on board. I'm going to have to look through this before launching any direct frontal assaults on the captain's schedule, but at first look your feelings are not unusual. Your problem is not unique."

"I suppose that's some small consolation," Sarah sighed. She rubbed her belly; there was one small spot where the baby seemed to be practicing for a conga drum competition.

Joy turned from the console, back to Sarah. "But the next question would be how you want to handle it. I can help you learn what is reasonable, or at least what is the usual. Can you take it yourself from there?"

"I hope so..." It was a rare occasion that Sarah felt young and helpless. She'd been so much on her own as a child, that she'd learned to be self-sufficient at an early age. But with everything going on lately, she'd been feeling rather small and lost. It was difficult to admit.

"Well, if you can, do. If you have problems, I'll be here to talk, at the very least."

"I wish I didn't feel so darned needy," Sarah said very quietly.

Joy smiled sadly. "I think that is part of what is called being 'sentient.' Races that develop language and tools aren't meant to walk alone."

Finishing her coffee (and hoping the added nutrients would be enough to hold her without a meal for a bit longer), Sarah set down the mug. "I've spent so much of my life being emotionally alone that it's hard to admit I'd rather not be," she tried to explain.

"But are you truly ready to walk away, to walk alone?"

"Oh, no..." She shook her head. "That's exactly the problem. I did it for so long, that I never want to do it again. But if I say so, especially to Alex, I feel like I'm whining..."

"And yet, if you do not tell him, how will he know? An unwillingness to talk, to communicate, is often a problem in these situations. I mean, handling things through ship protocol, with councilor and yeoman discussing schedules, won't do it. It's not just about time, is it?"

"Well... mostly it's about time," said Sarah. "And about making the most of what time we do have together, I guess. But if he hasn't got time for our family now, how will he have more time later, when we'll have a new baby and need to juggle our schedules even more?"

Which thread to push? "It seems that there are two aspects, then. Lack of time, which is to a large extent his problem, given his responsibilities. Then there is an inability to communicate, to address the problem. This might be more your difficulty, perhaps growing out of a time when you were used to being independent, when you were accustomed to making demands of others?"

The young doctor smiled sadly. "There was never anyone to demand of," she said. "We had a fairly structured schedule at boarding school, and then I went to university when I was ten, and just sort of managed on my own. When the people who were supposed to watch over me would check in, I just said everything was fine. Because I'd never known any other way for things to be."

"Were things always fine? Did you never feel needs such as you are feeling now?"

It took a few moments for Sarah to think about that. "Sometimes I felt lonely," she decided aloud. "I would have a dream about my parents, and feel empty when I woke up. Or dreams about my People, that I didn't understand except for the feeling of aloneness when they were over. But I didn't have any close personal relationships," she explained. "I didn't have any experience with them."

Joy nodded, slowly. "I'm not sure what to say, then. I would think, that for a relationship to work, you would need to be able communicate at some level. Your People, it seems, are more social, more a group, than many cultures. I think, perhaps, you have their need to be part of a group, a family, or perhaps a crew, without the practice in your youth of what it takes to make such groups work."

Sarah blinked. What a startling revelation! Of course she didn't have the experience or the practice to be part of a family unit or a Group. But the question remained -- how to communicate to Alex (who was, when all was said and done, not of the People) what she needed when she hardly understood her own needs herself? There was the crux of the whole issue. "So how do I communicate it?" she asked.

"With words. With touch. Well... I think the first step is not by saying everything is fine. Alex cannot be treated as the councilors at your boarding school, to whom you always answered everything is fine. I'm not sure. I just visited your People briefly. It seemed that if they saw a person in the village in need, they would answer that need. Starfleet is no different in that. But you have to let the need show. Not everyone has a councilor's training to find a need unstated."

"I guess that means I shouldn't hesitate to be a bother?" Sarah asked, rather timidly.

Joy smiled.  "You shouldn't.  At a guess, you will anyway."

"Well, I do hate to be bothersome," laughed Sarah. "Even when I probably should be."

"I know. A major character fault, independence." Joy again fought down the urge to advise that it is possible to nag too much. An unnecessary data point, just now.

Sarah laughed again. "But independence is part of what makes someone a good doctor, so there must be something positive to be said for it..."

"But do not doctors also have to be able to work in teams? Oh, yes. It is good to be able to function sometimes alone, but if everyone were entirely independent, I'd be out of a job! Can't have that!"

"Like everything else, a balance," Sarah concluded, smiling. "Thank you, Counselor Joy." She felt a little better emotionally -- and much better physically. She thought she might even be able to eat something more than fortified coffee and clear broth.

"You are quite welcome, Sarah.  I'll try to keep in touch."

Sarah hauled herself to her feet and walked over to the replicator. She knew Joy was watching her, and felt a little self-conscious, but placed an order for a tuna sandwich and glass of milk.

Joy stood. "Next step... rearranging bits in the computer. I'll be hiding in my office if there is need."

"Thank you," Sarah said again, turning with a smile, and took her lunch tray into her own office to work while she ate.