<USS Lovisa> Conjectures on the Silver Ship

  • From: Robert Butler <rwbutler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: USS Lovisa <usslovisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 05:44:36 -0400

Subject : Conjectures on the Silver Ship
From : Councilor Joy Nine
To : Captain Kilgarran
Copies To : Chance Bennigan, Oridian Starfire, Mara Ryell, Geoff Mercida, Drizzella GLOn, Moonshadows ToNEN, Ethan Chastian, Sarah Mollin

The Bridge Crew and Science spent considerable time recently, discussing the silver ship we are currently pursuing. It has been noted that at both Vulcan and Legges, the ship seems to have instigated unusual forms of attack. On Vulcan, there is suspicion they disrupted the Pon Farr cycles. On Legges, they instigated a solar flare cycle intense enough to penetrate a modern shield system. They are now heading for Sivao. It seems appropriate to watch for similar planet wide disruptions on Sivao.

During this conversation on the bridge, I thought to do what I could to encourage and expedite dialogue. In the end I voiced three recommendations growing out of the general discussion. Warn Sivao. As the last encounter between the Lovisa and the silver ship was indecisive, request support. Request that Starfleet begin a research project to determine who could have designed and built such a unique vessel.

At this point, none of these things have been done. Commander Bennigan specifically blocked the warning to Sivao. He was concerned that this would warn our quarry.

In addition, it would seem wise to review radiation levels on the surface of Home. While planets are protected by magnetic fields and atmosphere, an event significant enough to stress a starship's shields is highly unusual. To my knowledge, we have not calculated if there is a health risk on the surface. It would seem prudent to do so, and perhaps to warn Home's Old Ones as necessary.

I have no reason to doubt that Mara is correct in saying solar activity such as we observed at Legges can be induced. The ability to induce flares at such a high radiation level might possibly be why the silver ship has such a unique design. If we had difficulty stabilizing our systems well out near Home, how much more difficulty would they have had sun diving to induce the flares?

I cannot help but think of the flares as an attack. Meddling with Legge's star without the informed consent of the Old Ones would be at minimum a violation of sovereignty, and likely a hostile act. It is not absolutely clear if the attack was directed primarily at the Lovisa or Home, but meddling with a sun to attack a ship seems to be as swatting flies with a ship's tractor beam.

I may also begin a search of news stories looking for oblique attacks similar to the Pon Farr distortion and the increased flare activity. It seems possible that the silver ship is attacking planets, but in diverse ways not easily detected. If so, there may a pattern of problems in this area of space from which we can deduce more about the ship's capabilities, movements and motives.

Comments welcome.

Joy Nine

*************** Subject : The Silver Ship From : Councilor Joy Nine To : Chief Oridian Starfire

One odd question. During your recent visit to the bridge, you mentioned the silver ship mixed Romulan drives with other features which suggested Vulcan and Federation technology. One detail. Do you know if the power source for the warp drive is a Federation style anti-matter warp core, or a Romulan singularity system?

I'm not sure how or if this might be important, but it is an oddity that has been nagging me.

Councilor Joy Nine