[ussgeorgetown] "Physical Therapy - 101" Lt. Cmdr. Alex Henderson & Revaed

  • From: LtCmdrSydMorgan@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:45:10 EDT

"Physical Therapy - 101"
Lt. Cmdr. Alex Henderson & Revaed

Although he'd originally come aboard to bring Captain Hale the message from
ch'Thane's parent, Revaed also made himself otherwise useful, too.  True,  he
would forever be keeping watch over his nephew and his family, but to do
nothing after all those years of training and being a member of the Imperial
Guard was unfathomable for him.  So, if one of the crew worked up the nerve  to
actually ask him, he would oblige by helping with a training session in the
gym.  They usually ended up limping away but they always thanked him.   He had
been told, more than once, that he was an excellent teacher, even if
Elishvrachen told him certain crew thought he was a bit of a hard  taskmaster.

Now, he was, waiting on another crew person.  Dr. Michaels, for whom  he had
a great deal of respect, had asked him to work with a woman who needed  help
with learning to use an artificial leg.

Back in her quarters Alex  saw the flashing light indicating a message was
waiting. She walked over to the  comm and played the message. Something about
meeting someone in the gym for  rehab on her leg. Michaels already gave her
exercises to do, what and who  the hell was she supposed to do now....

Changing into some workout  clothes, Alex made her way to the gym, to find
out who this person was and what  they wanted her for. After all she had been
doing her PT as ordered. What more  did they want from her.

While he waited, Revaed had started some llaekh-ae'rl katas. Except  for the
fact that he was wearing a sleeveless shirt, it was exactly like any  workout
he might have done on ch'Rihan.  He heard the door open but did not
acknowledge the newcomer until he was done with his last graceful move.   With
that, he
turned to face the door.  The woman was Human, maybe a bit  older than Julita
but he could never truly tell with Humans.

"You are the one Dr. Michaels sent?" he asked, his dark eyes assessing her
as coldly as he would have assessed any new recruit on ch'Rihan.

Looking around Alex was  praying that the Romulan was not talking to her.
However the way he was staring  at her gave her the impression that she was
indeed who he was talking  to.

"Yes, it would appear that I  am the one sent by Dr. Michaels. Lt. Commander
Alex Lazzara-Henderson. Although  I am not sure as to why I have been sent to
meet you?"

She had the distinct feeling  that this was not a meeting for pleasure, but
more like a meeting for pain. She  would see what he wanted and take it from
there.

"You have an artificial leg and you have trouble managing it after quite
some time," he said simply.  "I trained worse injured guards than you for  over
twenty years and the doctor asked me to get you into as good a shape as I
would have expected from them.  So start walking then start running.   Now
would
be a good time."

Just where  the hell does he get off telling me to walk and then run? "I am
perfectly  capable of walking and running if need be. That is not the problem.
Frankly I  don't care how long you trained injured guards or what you expected
out of them.  I am only here because Dr. Michaels seems to think something of
you. Now if you  want my respect and vice versa, I suggest you actually take
the time to  find out how this accident happened and how I ended up with this
artificial  leg." You pompous asshole...

"I do not care if you respect me or you do not.  It is hardly part of  my
worry.  And I already know how you lost the leg.  I was on your  previous ship.

'Friendly fire'.  You should have killed the  one with the gun," Revaed said
in a disgusted tone.  "Hardly your fault but  how you lost it has nothing to do
with why you are here."

"Frankly if I had had the  opportunity I might have killed the other one, but
that is not how things are  done in Starfleet. If you are so smart then why
don't you tell me why I am  here?"

I think I will be having  a talk with the good doctor about this
asshole.........

Revaed's mouth twisted slightly at her comments about killing the  other.  He
fixed her with those cold, dark eyes of his, not even  blinking.  "Do you
enjoy falling over on your face or on your back because  you have no control
over
the limb?  I should think it is rather  embarrassing not to mention painful."

"Actually, (you jackass), I  do have some control over my leg, and if you
were on the ship, then you know the  surgery took place under not so equitable
situation. Now if Dr. Michaels seems  to think that I need PT, then I will do
so. However I will not be treated as a  second class citizen just so you can
get your jollies."

"Some?" he asked.  "Are you satisfied with  some?"

"No, I would prefer to have  more control, but I don't need some damn Romulan
with a stick up his ass telling  me how to achieve that control. Now if you
want to lose the attitude then  perhaps we can work together. I am not some
child you can just boss around and  belittle to make yourself feel good."

Revaed snorted in amusement, wondering if she thought that she was truly
offending him when he couldn't care less.  "My attitude is hardly likely to  be
lost.  I've had it since I was six years old which would make your  request
eighty-eight years too late.  I suggest you deal with it with all  of
Starfleet's
famed acceptance of diversity if you really want to have the  control."

Arguing with this ass hole  was going to get her no where, and she did want
the control. Never could tell  when having control might come in handy. For now
she decided she would put up  with his bullshit. How long she wasn't too sure
about.

Revaed waited calmly.  He knew the woman was angry with him but it was  no
worse than any number of guards, senators, and just plain citizens ever
thought
about him.  Few were the people whose opinions truly mattered to  him and
some of those were no longer among the living.

"Ok, what the hell do you  want me to do?" Alex wasn't overly thrilled at the
idea of working with this  jerk but perhaps it was a necessary evil.
Unfortunately it was her evil to deal  with.

"Did I not say to start walking then start running when you came in?" he
asked simply.

"Fine no need to get bitchy  about it." She was starting to hate this man
already. Alex started to  walk around the gym avoiding eye contact with Revaed.
The least he could've  done was introduce himself the arrogant bastard.

Revaed watched the woman's movements with a speculative eye, noting that  she
seemed to favor the lost leg.  Whether it was consciously or not, he  didn't
know, but it looked as though she was definitely transferring more weight
than necessary onto the natural limb.  That was natural for any  species.

Walking around the gym Alex  could feel Revaed's eyes boring a hole into her
back. She knew she had a slight  limp but she had gotten used to it, besides
it wasn't the end of the world. She  was trying to imagine what was going
through his mind as she walked around the  gym. Probably thinking up ways to
tortu
re me....the least the arrogant  bastard could do is attempt to be tolerable
and not condescending. First chance  she got she felt like belting him one.

"Build up to a moderate run," Revaed called out.  He wanted to see the
sequence of motion in the muscles.  They were the same, Seren told him, in
Humans
as they were in Rihannsu or Vulcans.  He knew it was not a question  of nerve
damage but more likely one of muscle atrophy.  He just wanted to  be sure.

Alex glared at the Romulan  as he "ordered" her to start running. If looks
could kill he would be  dead... Alex started with a slow jog around the gym
taking her time  building to the moderate run he wanted. He could just freakin'
wait until  she was good and ready to run.

Humans, he mused.  They are entirely too different from each  other.  This
woman is so different from Julita that they may as well not be  the same
species.  And that other one, the one Tawa is sweet on.   Entirely different...

Alex started to increase her  speed until she was at the moderate run
requested by the so called physical  therapist or whatever the hell you wanted
call him. She had made it around  the track several times, when her leg gave
out.
She laid there for a moment,  to catch her breath. Once she had slowed her
breathing, she struggled to  get back up, because she wasn't going to have that
ass hole help her, even if  she was dying.

Revaed saw her fall and, while he hoped she wasn't really injured, he had  no
intention of helping her up unless it was absolutely necessary.  Some  might
have thought it cruel and unfeeling of him but, to him, it left the  injured
party more humiliated for having the help rather than falling  itself.  At
least, that's the way it was on ch'Rihan and how it had gone  since then.

After finally managing to  get up, Alex proceeded to start back with a walk
until she felt more  steady. Once that was accomplished she would work up to a
run. She hated this  man already, he has no compassion, no empathy....he's
just a jerk. She was  determined to prove to him that she didn't need his help,
even if it killed  her.

"That is enough," he called out eventually.  "You may stop."   He'd seen
enough to know what needed to be done.  Again there was very  little expression
in
his eyes as he looked at her but there never was when  he thought himself at
work.  "When there is injury to one half, it is  natural to compensate with
the other.  Physical therapy is useful but  occasionally impractical.  You need
to build the strength of the muscles  that control the artificial limb and in
such a way that it becomes second  nature.  It is possible but you need to
have strength of many kinds if you  want to reach your goal."

Alex walked over to  Revaed not really wanting to hear anything he had to
say. However she stood and  listened. She understood about building up muscle
strength and the muscles  that controlled "thing," but she had no idea what he
meant by needing to have  strength of many kinds in order to reach her goal.
Can't he just spit out  what he is trying to say...

"Your choice, Commander.  You  may continue with your physical therapy alone
and eventually reach some sort of  plateau or you can do this with me as well.
 Not all have the strength to  endure," he told her.

"I will continue with you  for now. Not all humans are as weak as you
perceive them to be." Where did he  get off talking like that? Not all have the
strength to endure... I'll show  him

"Believe me, Commander, You have no idea what my perceptions  are.  Not at
all," Revaed said mildly.  "I will see you at our next  session."

Alex watched as the jerk walked away. She took a quick shower and headed
back to her quarter's. She couldn't wait to tell Vivie about this  idiot.