[ussgeorgetown] Options by Rachelle Michaels, Josh Garrity and Julian Bashir

  • From: Tesa16591@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:34:54 EDT

Options by Rachelle Michaels, Josh Garrity and Julian Bashir

Julian adjusted the flow on the IV attached to Josh's arm once the  uninvited
visitors had gone. He looked down at the silent patient who looked as  if
he'd like nothing better than to get up and run out the door if only he  could.

"You've got no choice right now but to rest. If you get up now,  you'll only
cause us to have to drag you back and fix you again, you know." He  said
mildly.

Josh turned his gaze from the exit to Julian, his expression one of
confusion and no small degree of discomfort. He struggled to focus on him as he

spoke, trying desperately to place the man. Where had he seen him  before?

Rachelle moved closer so Josh could see her. "Josh, this is Julian  Bashir,
the doctor from Deep Space Nine. He helped me with your surgery. He  knows what
he's talking about, so don't even think about it. I'm not planning on  doing
all that stitching all over again soon, so relax. Does it hurt much? I can
increase the sedative enough to take the edge off at least."

Josh considered the question carefully. His throat hurt terribly,  but he
supposed that the lack of water and all that yelling would likely cause  that.
It
would heal. He moved slightly, gingerly, testing the rest and gasped,
wincing, surprised at how very much his entire side and upper leg hurt. What
had
happened?

Rachelle picked up a glass of water with a straw and held it where  he could
sip without sitting up. "Here, drink this. It'll help."

Josh hesitated, always reluctant to eat or drink anything he didn't  get for
himself. After a moment, though, he reminded himself he trusted Doctor
Michaels and accept the water gratefully, despite the way it seemed to tear all
 the
way down.

"I know it still hurts. You've been through a lot, yet again. There  are
enough stitches in your leg alone to make a sail for a full sized ship, your
kidney is bruised, plus several other parts. But you're alive and IF you follow

instructions, you should recover." As she spoke, Rachelle adjusted the flow
rate  of the sedative to take the edge off the pain yet not enough to cause him
to  lapse into unconsciousness again.

Joshua nodded slightly as he tried to sit up, mostly just to see if  he
could. Somehow he wasn't sure. Taking as deep a breath as his lungs would
allow,
he let it out through clenched teeth, he moved to swing his legs over the  side
of the biobed, not intending to stand...at least not if it continued  hurting
this much...not right away.

Probably not, anyway.

"Whoa  there! Just lie right back down, I repeat, I am NOT doing all that
work all over  again." Rachelle smiled even as she gently restrained him with
one
hand on his  shoulder. She knew he didn't like being touched, but she would
definitely do so  if it kept him on that bed.

Josh looked at her, frowning slightly, something in his expression
indicating that he wasn't quite following what she was saying. Even so, between
 the
pain and her gentle but firm restraint, he laid back on the overly soft
surface
of the biobed.

Rachelle sighed, she knew exactly what he was thinking. "No, this  time you
are not leaving here right away. I'm sorry Josh, but that's the way  it's going
to have to work. I'll arrange for a private room and Mac or one  of the
others can bring you food. I'll even allow some short periods of access  to a
PADD
once you are stronger, but they will be strictly regulated. This time  you
can't just shrug it off."

Josh blinked in confusion. Staying? Here?

No, he didn't think so. He began looking around again at the doors, the
vents, the access panels, gauging distances when Keller walked in,  complaining.

"Oy vey, that man YELLS," Keller announced, having just finished up  with
Murgo, rather quickly as the captain had rushed her and shooed her out  there
at
the end. Puttering around, seemingly oblivious to the conversations  that
might have already been going on, she continued in her whining tones, "He's
worse
than my grandfather, God rest his soul. That man was nevah quiet..."

Josh cringed at the first sound of her voice, the biobed registering
increased agitation and discomfort with each syllable she spoke.

Noticing the fluctuations, Julian spoke up. "Nurse Keller, isn't  it? I know
you couldn't have had time to finish your break earlier. Doctor  Michaels and
I have everything firmly in hand here, why don't you go on? Better  still,
take the rest of your shift off. I'm sure it will be just fine. If anyone
questions you about it, tell them that I insist." As he spoke, he herded the
annoying nurse back toward the door.

"But doctah," Keller began to protest until she felt his hands on  her back,
prodding her out the door. "ooh...doctah...wanna join me?" she asked,  smiling
wickedly.

Julian barely hid his alarm at the mere thought. "Sorry but I have  other
plans. Now, go along with you and don't even think about coming back until
your
next scheduled shift." He practically pushed her out the door and sighed  with
relief as the door slid shut. He activated the lock and turned to Rachelle.
"If you should need advice about staffing........" He grinned.

"okay, but...CALL ME LATAH," she called through the locked door  before
finally wandering away.

Julian shuddered as he moved away from the door. Rachelle laughed  at the
look on his face. "You sure you don't want to take her up on that  invitation,
Doctor? I can manage here on my own." Rachelle grinned evilly as  Julian
stepped
closer to answer.

"If you even think about it, I'll be back on the station so fast  your head
will spin, after leaving strict instructions not to allow any  communications
through from this ship."

"No sense of humor. Did they remove it when they redid your genetic
structure?"

"Funny. You're entirely too funny for your own good." As he spoke,  he
readjusted the drip on the IV and checked Josh's readings. Now that the nurse
from
hell was gone they had started to regulate again. "Feeling better?" he  asked
Josh softly.

Josh glanced back at the door, as though ensuring for himself that  it was
indeed locked, before turning his eyes back to Julian and nodding  slightly,
his
nerves seeming to stand somewhat less on edge now that  she was gone.

"Not very talkative, is he? But it could be worse, he could be  Morn."  They
both laughed then. leaving Josh with a puzzled expression on  his face.

Josh left them to their laughter, turning his attention instead to  possible
exits once again. Spying the closest one he began calculating. Fooling  the
sensors would be easy enough, just loop them, and the Find-Me had already  been
activated already, and unlikely reset, so it shouldn't beam him back. The
only problem would be getting to it, then. The pain in his hip and leg from
just
sitting up was less than encouraging.

Following his gaze, Rachelle shook her head. "No way Josh. I  already
deactivated your access to the doors and the FindMe is set. This time  you're
not
leaving until I say so."

Josh looked at her and frowned slightly, his eyes carrying in them  a look of
near panic. He knew he could get past the doors, no matter how she'd  had
them encrypted, but the FindMe was another story. He couldn't just lay here,
though. The bed was too soft, the room too loud, the smells too strong
and...he'd be trapped. Just the thought of being held against his will a moment
 longer
set the monitors off again as his heartrate suddenly increased.

"If you don't calm down I'm going to have to sedate you again. Now  listen, I
know this room is not right. You won't be here much longer, just until  we're
sure you aren't going to need any further surgery. Then we can move you to
another room here in sickbay, one more like what you are used to. I've already
seen to the environmental controls and the sleeping arrangements, and as soon
as  you can stop doing that every time I say something, we can begin
preparations to  move you. It's up to you Josh......." Rachelle spoke quietly
and
calmly even as  she fought the urge to scream in frustration.

Josh looked at her desperately, then closed his eyes, fighting the  panic and
trying hard to calm down. He couldn't stay here. He needed to be in  his own
space with his PADDs and his sketchbook and tools and work. He needed to  be
where it was warmer and the lightness of the gravity didn't make him so dizzy
he wanted to be sick. He needed his space. She understood that, didn't she?
She  had to know that. If he was here, and unable to move about, they could
find
him.  They're here, his mind shouted. They're on the station and they will
get aboard,  they will come and when they do they will find me...

He forced himself to calm and think. Zachary. He had to make sure  Senek knew
and that Zachary at least was safe. That he had a way to run if  he had to.

"That's a little better." Julian watched as a few of the readings  leveled
off, not quite to normal, but closer than they had been. "If you can  keep that
up you'll be out of here and somewhere more to your liking within an  hour or
less." He looked to Rachelle for confirmation and she nodded her  agreement.
She knew they couldn't expect anything close to normal from Josh so  she would
settle for less if need be.

Josh kept his eyes closed, focussing on the sound of the monitors  until
their patterns were what Rachelle would consider reasonably "normal." The
sooner
he was out of here, the sooner he could examine his options more closely.
Perhaps he could still find a way out of all of this.

He hoped.