[ussgeorgetown] My Oldest Girl by Calsita DeAngelo & Mika Kaartaren

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 14:47:51 EDT

***approved by Deb

Mika knew that her own psi abilities were advanced for a child her  age.  Her
daddy had told her so and she believed him.  She knew he  loved her and that
he would never lie to her or hurt her.  She was still  eating her ice cream,
wondering if she was going to get in trouble for the  vampire hunting and
really wondering why her daddy had carried Calista out of  the room.  Certainly
her
daddy had reassured her that Calista just needed  to see the doctor but she'd
seen his face.  And Uncle Christian's,  too.  They both looked worried.  That
made her worry.   She liked Calista a lot.  She was so pretty, she was a lot
of fun and she  made her feel good.  Her face pulled together in thought and
she corrected  herself.  No, I love her.

She was still picking at her sundae when she felt a funny pull into
something.  She was there yet not there.  So was her daddy, Calista,  and Uncle
Christian.  That part of her giggled, loving when Daddy did  this.  That part
of her
danced around the pretty white light that was  Calista, asking her to play,
asking to hug her.  She wondered at the two  tiny lights that were there.  They
were no harm.  In fact, it seemed  to her that they were reaching toward the
glow of their family.

When Gressa finally took her back to her quarters, Mika knew better than to
just run in.  She'd been told more than once that it wasn't good manners to
do that.  Besides, she knew that maybe Calista wasn't feeling good.   It was
quiet but the air didn't seem to that heavy sort of air that gave her
headaches, that told her something was very wrong.  She tiptoed inside  the
living
area.  Nobody there.  She glanced at the bedroom her daddy  and Calista shared.

She knew the rule about that.  If it was locked,  she should go to bed, but it
opened silently as she approached.

Daddy was fast asleep, his clothes still on and his arm wrapped around
Calista, but Calista's eyes were open and she smiled wearily at Mika.   "It's
okay,
little one, you can come in.  Your dad's just taking a  nap.  He's very
tired."

Mika sat on the floor, close enough so that she could look at  Calista.  "He
must be because he doesn't fall asleep with his shoes on  usually."  Her dark
eyes, so like her father's regarded Calista  carefully.  "Daddy carried you
out of the mess hall and Uncle Christian  looked upset. Daddy said you needed a
doctor.  Are you okay?"

Calista reached out to smooth the little girl's curls.  She  looked so much
like her father but those curls...she could be hers, too.   "I'm alright now,
Mika.  I just got upset about something but your dad and  my brother helped me.
 You did, too."

"I did?" Her face pulled into a frown of concentration and she looked away
for a moment.  Looking back at Calista she asked, "Was that where Daddy was
showing you our mental lights?  Yours is pretty.  It smells pretty,  too. I
asked Daddy about that once and he said it was alright that I can't  remember
my
mother's light any more.  He said she understood that I saw  yours like you
were my mom...is that okay?"

Calista fought back tears.  The girl was so sweet and trusting.   She held
her breath a moment, hoping the babies wouldn't interpret the rush of  tears as
anything other than the rush of love she was feeling from Mika.

"Of course it is, sweetie.  Come here," she said as she held out her  arm.
Mika stood up and very carefully laid down next to her, snuggling  against her.
 "We're going to be a family, Mika.  You're going to be  the big sister and
my best helper.  My oldest girl."

"I'm glad one of the babies is going to be a boy," Mika said, a smile
lighting her face.  "Daddy might feel outnumbered by all the girls around  him.

Gressa laughs at him because of it."  A sudden thought made her  grin even
wider.
 "He has a present for you.  I helped him pick it  out.  Do you want to know
what it is?"

"Why don't we let him surprise me, Mika?" Calista asked, even as she
wondered what it was that Pas had gotten.  His arms were wrapped so closely
about
her, ensconcing her in a physical reminder of the love he'd displayed  before.
"It will make him happy, don't you think?"

Mika nodded and snuggled in closer.  "Can I stay up here with  you?  I'm not
a baby or anything but it's nice to be here with you and  Daddy..."

"But you're ours and you're always welcome.  I'm glad you're here,  too,
Mika."