[ussgeorgetown] "Family Dinner"

  • From: LtCmdrSydMorgan@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:36:55 EDT

"Family Dinner"
Vivie and Alex Lazzara-Henderson & Tawny  Lazzara
Despite the extra work at work because of Cali's new light duty restriction,
Vivie had still had a really good day, and she knew why. Alex had made her
day  not only from their love making this morning, but because she'd reached
out
to  Tawny all on her own. That along had kept the silly smile on her face
there for  most of the day. Vivie still wore her silly smile as she bopped
around
the small  kitchen area making dinner. The computer was playing one of her
music files as  background noise and Vivie was singing along.

"I close my eyes at night - Wondering where would I be without you in my
life - Everything I did was just a bore - Everywhere I went it seems Iâd been

there before - But you brighten up for me all of my days - With a love so sweet

in so many ways - I want to stop and thank you baby." She didn't even stop
her  silly singing when Alex walked in. She walked over to her wife and kissed
her,  before looking into her eyes and singing, "I just want to stop and thank
you  baby - How sweet it is to be loved by you."

Even though she had called  and made the plans, Alex was still a nervous
wreck. She hoped she was hiding it  from Vivie. She wanted the night to go
perfectly, or at least tolerable. "I'm  not going to ask you why you are so
happy.
I'm just going to go take a quick  shower and rid this body of the sweat that
stupid Revaed caused. Kissing her  wife, Alex made her way to the bed and bath
area, closing the door behind her.  She sat on the bed taking deep breaths. She
kept telling herself everything  would be just fine. Taking a quick shower
she changed into something more  casual, and then walked back into the living
room. She kept walking until she  was behind Vivie, put her arms around her
waist and started to nibble on her  earlobe.

Vivie smiled as she chopped vegetables for the salad. "Mmmm."  She moaned.
"Your in awful playful mood for someone about to walk that long  mile."

"I have to get it in while I can. I promised T I would keep my  hands off of
you while she was here. Rest assured once she leaves all bets are  off."

"Mmm." She moaned again. "In that case I'm glad I have tomorrow  morning
off." After putting the salad together, Vivie spun in Alex's arms and  handed
her
the bowl with a smile. "I promise this won't be to bad, Baby. T knows  I'm
done playing her bratty games."

Taking the bowl, Alex gave her wife  a quick kiss. "I will settle for
tolerable, as for after well....

Vivie  moved over to the oven where her bourbon brisket was cooling on the
range top.  "She'll be nice or she'll have to explain to her training officer
why she's  standing to work."

Putting the salad on the table Alex didn't say  anything. She just kept
telling herself everything would work out. She  hoped.

Tawny sighed as she stood outside her sister's door. She really  didn't like
Alex, but for Vivie she'd try and be nice. And deep down she did  kinda hope
she was wrong about Alex. Maybe, just maybe she wouldn't end up  hurting her
sister.
"Come in." Vivie called out when the door chime rang. Looking up after
placing a basket of biscuits on the table, Vivie smiled. "Hi sweetie."

"Hey." Tawny replied as she stepped in. "Smells good, Viv."

Vivie smiled. "Well, I did manage to learn from Luc while working in the
kitchen at the hotel."
Tawny smiled. "Before or after you mopped the floors and did the dishes?"

Vivie stuck her tongue out at her sister. "Brat."

"Leaned from you." Tawny replied before looking over at Alex. "Hi."

"Hello Tawny, glad you could make it. Can I get you something to drink?"
Alex was trying her best to be nice.

"Does Viv still have her stash of  Sam Adams?" Tawny asked as she sat on the
arm of one of the chairs.

Vivie's head shot up. "I do but you aren't getting any. You're to young,  T.
Your not even legal yet!"

Tawny sighed and rolled her eyes. "Like you weren't drinking beer when  you
were my age."
"Well, your not me, so try again miss."
Tawny blinked. "Damn Viv you ain't even knocked up yet and your acting like
Mum. Could you knock it off?"

"No. Now ask for something else." Vivie replied before slipping back into
the kitchen.

Looking over at Alex, Tawny asked, "Is she on hormones already?"

"No, no hormones yet." Speaking a little more softly Alex looked at  Tawny,
"Did you want that in a glass?"

Tawny blinked. "She'd kill you ya  know."

"She'll get over it, if you keep your mouth shut. So a glass  would be more
in order don't you think?"

"Um. Yeah." Tawny replied.  "Just don't drug it ok."

"Wouldn't think of it. Vivie, what do you want  to drink?" Alex got the beer
for Tawny and poured it into a glass without it  forming a head.

Vivie waked back out of the kitchen, placing the brisket  on the table. "I'll
have whatever you got for, T." She replied as she went back  for the greens.

Alex looked at Tawny and grimaced. "Okay, one more Creme  Soda coming up." I
swear I am going to have a nervous breakdown before the  night is over. After
fixing Vivie's drink, Alex fixed herself her usual  Cherry Coke. She looked at
Tawny as if to say keep your mouth shut or we are  both dead meat.

Tawny tried not to smile. She tried not to think the  small peace offering
was kinda nice, but the hint of a smile betrayed her.

"All right you two come sit down." Vivie told her girls as she took her
drink from Alex. She laughed a little. "It's been awhile since I've had cream
soda."

Alex made her way to the table, pulling out a chair for Vivie.  "Everything
smells wonderful. You should cook more often, especially since you  are much
better at it than I am."

"You couldn't be any worse then our  Uncle David." Tawny replied as she sat
down. "He burns oatmeal."
Vivie laughed. "Yeah well Uncle David is easily distracted which is why he
burns everything." Reaching over, Vivie picked up Alex's plate and started
putting food on it.

Alex went to reach for her own plate. "Vivie, I can  fix my own plate, why
don't you just relax. You cooked it, the least I can do it  serve it." God
forbid Tawny thinks that Vivie waits on me hand and foot.  "So Tawny, how do
you
like your assignment so far?"

"Since when do you  mind if I do this?" Vivie asked pointedly and then looked
over at her sister.  "This isn't anything that Mama doesn't do for Mum now is
it T?"
Tawny shook her head. "Mama would fix all our plates and cut our meat for us
if we let her." Turning away from her sister's glare, Tawny tried to answer
Alex's question. The glares were making it really hard to keep her cool. "It's
a  lot harder then being at the academy. I work a short shift in the morning
and  then take advanced classes in the afternoon. But I'm really enjoying it."

The tension in air was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Alex took  a
bite of her dinner, "You've out done yourself Vivie. This is delicious. I wish
I'd had food like this growing up. You are one lucky person Tawny."

"I  know." Tawny replied as she looked down at her plate. She smiled after
the first  bite. Then she looked over at Alex. "How come you didn't get meals
like this?  Our moms made us have dinner as a family every night, even if we
had
other  plans."

Taking a small drink Alex replied, "I didn't get meals like this  because I
don't have any brother's or sister's, and my parent's were off doing  their own
thing. I had to learn to do a lot of things on my own, unfortunately  cooking
wasn't one of my best subjects."

"How come your parents were  flakes?" Tawny asked.
"Tawny!" Vivie scolded from across the table.

"What?" Tawny asked. "That's what Mum calls her parents cause they stuck  her
and Uncle Robert in boarding schools all their lives."

"It's okay,  at the time I thought they were weird myself. Who in their right
mind would want  to chop down trees to build a house and live off the land,
when you could easily  catch a shuttle and go to the city. That was what they
wanted to do with their  lives, I didn't. So I did what I had to, to get into
the academy."

Tawny  looked confused. "Chop down trees and live off the land?"

"Yep, they  didn't want to live in the big city. They wanted to build things
with their own  hands and provide for themselves. Most nights I would just lay
on the ground and  stare at the stars and dream about the day I would be on
one. Vivie hasn't even  met them yet. I'm not quite sure how they would take
this  relationship."

"Isn't my sister good enough for you?" Tawny asked in a  mean way before
glaring at Alex.

Vivie sighed. "Do it again, T.." She warned.

"T, your sister is  my life. I would do anything for her. Her not meeting my
parents has nothing to  do with her being good enough for me or not. It's more
a matter of them not  really approving of me. They didn't approve of my
attending the academy, in  fact, they didn't even come to my graduation. I
haven't
spoken to them in years.  You grew up where having two mother's was considered
ok, I grew up being told it  was wrong and my feelings were wrong. Until I
met your sister. Then I knew  everything everyone had tried to tell me was
wrong. That may also be part of why  we have trouble getting along. I never had
share anything or anyone with  someone else, now I do and it's hard for me."
Alex took a drink and looked  away.

Tawny poked at a heap of greens, not waiting to look at either of  them. "She
was mine first. Your not the one sharing her, I am."

"You're  right she was. Then all of a sudden I come into the picture. I'm not
trying to  keep you from your sister. I want us all to get along. As far as I
am concerned,  you, Vivie, your mother's and everyone else in this rather
large family of yours  is now my family. A family I feel like I might someday
belong in and feel safe  in. Does that make any sense at all?"

Tawny shrugged.

"Tawny,  what do you want me to do? I'm not going away, and there is going to
be a baby  in this home. You tell me what you want out of me?"

"Not everything is  about you." Tawny shot back.

Vivie sighed. So much for playing nice. "T, second warning."

"Fuck off Vivie." Tawny replied. "Your not my damn mother so stop acting
like it."

Alex stood up and got in Tawny's face. "I don't care how you  speak to other
people, but while you are in these quarter's you will respect  your sister and
you will not use that kind of language. I don't tolerate it from  anyone else
and I am not going to tolerate it from you. I never said everything  is about
me. At least I am trying, what are you doing?" Alex looked at Vivie,  "I'm
sorry."

"You don't get to tell me how to act with my own sister."  Tawny spat back as
she got out of her seat.
Vivie sighed as she walked over to grabbed Tawny by the shoulder and pushing
her towards the other room. "Excuse us, Babe. We need to talk." With that she
 and Tawny slipped into the bedroom where the muffled shouting could be heard
but  not what was being said.
Alex was shaking as she cleared off the table. Once she had that done she
went and sat down and stared out the window, wondering how other families did
it.

Quite awhile later, Vivie walked out of the bedroom alone. Her eyes  puffy
and red, her cheeks tear streaked. Without a word to Alex she headed into  the
kitchen where she started to dish up three plates of apple pie with ice  cream.

Alex saw Vivie come out, saw her eyes and wanted to go beat the  living
daylights out of Tawny. Instead she went over to Vivie, took the dishes  out of
her
hands and held her close. "It's okay hon. What happened? Talk to me,  don't
shut me out?"

"I'm not." Vivie replied as she held onto Alex.  "If she wants my attention
so badly she'll get it, but she isn't always gonna  like it." With a sigh,
Vivie closed her eyes and just let Alex hold her for a  while.

Alex held her not wanting to let her go. "What can I do? I don't  like seeing
you like this?"

Vivie shook her head. "Nothing, baby. It's  just gonna take time for me and T
to work things out. She's just using you to  get to me. I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry for. You have done  nothing wrong, now if you
will excuse me I have to go talk to someone." Alex  gave Vivie a soft kiss and
then proceeded into the bedroom. She looked at Tawny  and crossed her arms.
"Are you happy? Have you succeeded in hurting your sister  enough for one
night?
I invited you to dinner in an attempt to make things  easier for Vivie. I
guess you didn't have that in mind."

Vivie tried to  grab hold of Alex, to tell her to leave Tawny be for a little
while, but by the  time she realized her wife was going into the bedroom the
woman was already in  there. "Shit."

Tawny was laying face down on Vivie's bed crying and didn't even respond  to
Alex.

Alex sat on the end of the bed and waited a few minutes. "Ya  know your
sister loves you with all her heart and would do anything for you. She  may
have
made some mistakes while you were both growing up, but are you going to  spend
the
rest of your life punishing her, when you could be a part of her  life.
That's what she wants ya know. She wants you in her life. The question is  how
bad
do you want her in your life and what are you willing to do about  it?"

"There's nothing I can do." Tawny replied through her sniffles. "She  has you
and soon a baby. I don't get a say remember. I'm just the stupid sister  no
one likes."

"No one ever said you were the stupid sister no one  likes. You don't give
anyone a chance to like or dislike you. Yes, she has me  and soon a baby, which
believe it or not, I am going to have to share her with.  But most importantly
she has you. You are her flesh and blood and always will  be. If you would
stop acting like a child, and grow up to be the person that she  knows you can
be, you would see that. You're not stupid or you wouldn't be on  this ship. So,
I am asking again what are you going to do about  it?"

Tawny just shrugged.

Alex did something she never thought  she would do. She got up and moved next
to Tawny, she pulled her up off the bed  and held her tight in her arms.
"Vivie isn't going any where T. She is always  going to be your sister and she
will
always make time for you."

Shock  ran through Tawny as she was held by Alex. It nearly sent her mind and
emotions  over the edge.
Vivie was outside the bedroom door pacing. She didn't hear any yelling just
what sounded like Alex's muffled voice.
Alex just kept holding Tawny tight. "Believe it or not I am not the enemy.
Look at it this way, when you screw up you at least have someone to hide
behind."

"A lot a good it did me." Tawny sniffled.

"Well, you  kinda jumped the gun there kiddo. After all I did give you the
beer, which if  she finds out about we are both going to need someone to hide
behind."

Tawny actually laughed.

Having had all she could take, Vivie knocked on the door. "Do I need to  come
back in there Tawny Evette? Alexis what's going on?"

Alex looked at T, "Tawny Evette? So, what do you say? Are we  okay?"

"Least it's easier to spell then Viviana Antoinette." Tawny  replied while
she thought about it. Then she shrugged again. "I guess so. For  now."

"That's all I ask is a chance and nothing about the beer  deal?"

Tawny pulled away and looked up at Alex. "Do I look that stupid?  She's
already pissed at me."

"No, you don't look that stupid, I just  don't want her mad at me, the couch
is not the most comfortable thing in the  world. Ready for some apple pie?"

Tawny snorted. "The couch? Please at  least you'd be able to sit on it."
Tawny perked up a little. "Apple pie? With  ice cream?"

"Yeah well I guess you have a point there. Yes, apple pie  with ice cream.
Shall we?" Alex stood and held out her hand.

"Don't push  it." Tawny replied with a smirk as she stood up and pushed
Alex's hand away.  "Um.. You first."

"You're just as feisty as you sister ya know it." Alex  opened the door and
the two walked out.

Vivie stopped paces, turning to look at her two headaches, and crossed  her
arms. "What the hell? Didn't you hear me? What happened?"
"She bought me off." Tawny replied as she headed right for the pie. "Bought
you off?" Vivie asked.

Tawny nodded.

Vivie turned to look at Alex. "What did you do?"

Alex just  shrugged, "Beats me."

Tawny snickered at the look on Vivie's face as it  slowly became the color of
her hair.
"What so funny?" Vivie asked as she walked over to join her sister.

"Geesh, Viv, don't like blow a blood vessel or anything."

Alex  just got her pie, winked at T and grinned at Vivie.

Vivie planted her  hands on her hips and stood right in front of Alex. "Ya
know your not to old to  go over my knee either. So clue me in." Then she
pouted. "Please?"

Alex  looked at T then back at Vivie, "Care for some pie and ice cream?"

Vivie  threw her hands up and huffed before walking over and falling onto the
couch  where she crossed her arms and legs and fumed.
Tawny looked over at Alex and  laughed. "It runs in the family. Man are you
gonna have your hands full with a  kid with our genes."

"That's okay, guess who gets to baby-sit?" laughed  Alex

A small flicker of a smile passed across Vivie's lips as she watched  Alex
and Tawny's new interactions. Then she returned to pouting.
"Someone's gotta teach it how to get away with stuff." Tawny teased as she
very carefully sat next to her sister.
Vivie noticed the small wince on Tawny's face and her heartbroken again.  Mum
and her advice. She forgot to tell me I'd feel like shit too. Vivie  reached
over and brushed some hair out of Tawny's face. "You two are gonna drive  me
out of my mind one of these days."

Alex looked at Vivie, then at T, "I  know I said I would keep my hands off
but I can't resist." She leaned down and  kissed her wife on the lips.

"Mmm. Ice cream." Vivie replied with a smack  of her lips.
Tawny groaned. "God your as bad as the moms are. Gross."

"Your day  will come T. Just wait, then we'll see who is gross."

Tawny knew better  then to bring up her day had come her first week at the
academy, so she just  laughed. "It'll still be you old married people"

"and it will still be  Auntie T."

Vivie smiled, feeling a lot better about things now.
"I'm sorry, Viv." Tawny replied as she watched her sister's face. "Ya know
about before."

"I know sweetie." Vivie pulled her sister into a hug and then whispered  in
her ear. "I love you ya know."

"I know." Tawny replied before letting go and sitting back. "Me too ya  know."
"Hey, what am I chopped liver?"

Vivie laughed as she leaned in and  kissed Alex. "I love you too."

Whispering in Vivie's ear, "Well, you can  show me how much later."
"Oh I plan too." Vivie replied. "But till then.. Get  my pie please?"

"Yes Ma'am." Alex got up and retrieved Vivie's pie,  handing it to her as she
sat next to her sister. "Anything else  Ma'am?"

"Knock it off." Vivie laughed.
"But if she knocked it off then she'd get ice cream on the floor." Tawny
teased.
Vivie groaned.
Alex laughed along with T and looked at her wife. "What'd I  do?"

"Brats. Both of you." Vivie told them as her silly smile  returned

Tawny still wasn't sure about Alex, but she disliked her less. After  talking
with her sister and Alex awhile longer she started to yawn.

"Ok, it's late, miss." Vivie said as she collect their plates. "Off you  go,
sweetie."

"Yes Mom." Tawny replied and then jumped out of Vivie's reach. When she  saw
her sister roll her eyes she knew it was safe to hug her goodnight. "Night
Viv. Night Alex."
Vivie hugged her sister back and whispered in her ear. "Be good." And then
smacked her bottom as a reminder.
Tawny's eyes went wide but then nodded. "Wouldn't do anything you wouldn't."
Vivie groaned and rolled her eyes and then smacked her sister with a dish
towel. "Go to bed brat."

Vivie watched as Tawny left and then finished cleaning up. Turning to  Alex
she smiled at she pointed to their bedroom. "You too, Miss. Off to  bed."

"Only if you are coming with?"

Taking Alex by the hand,  Vivie lead her into the bedroom. "Oh I'm coming
with. We have a couple of scores  to settle."