[ussgeorgetown] Family Bonds by Christain and Calista DeAngelo and Pas Kaartaren

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, usstempest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:40:55 EDT

***takes place from the middle of "Saturday  Evening Social"on Georgetown and
before Tempest makes the wormhole  leap

First and foremost, Pas pushed his own  fears, for Calista and for their
babies that she carried, far into the back of  his mind.  Even as he carried
her,
his arms holding her to his chest, he was also had his arms around her
mentally.  Over and over, until he  could set her down and concentrate, he told
her
~~It's alright, Imzadi.  I'm here, Calista.  It's alright.~~
"What happened?" he asked aloud, his dark eyes showing the fear he  wouldn't
let through in mentally.
"We received some rather disturbing news of our father,"  Christian answered,
still moving before them and clearing a path as he projected  a surprisingly
strong sense of peace and calm to his sister and her unborn  children. "She
was ill prepared, not for the news, but for her own reaction to  it."
Control, iron clad control.  It was the only thing  that kept Pas from
letting what he really thought about the man show in thought  or word.  "I'm
sorry
to hear that," he said neutrally.  He didn't like  the man at all but he was
still their father.  ~~~Calista, we're going to  Sick Bay.  I want you all
checked out. I love you and I want you safe and  sound~~~
"Yeah...me too..." Christian responded, completely deadpan.  He continued to
project an amazing sense of peace and calm he did not feel,  keeping his own
issues on the entire matter very carefully private for the  moment.
Pas walked into Sick Bay and set his beloved on one of the  bio beds.  It was
a simple thing to set up an opaque privacy shield around  the bed.  He just
hoped Rachelle would understand the need to do this  without asking why.  She
could yell at him later if she wanted to.   One hand gently smoothed away the
auburn curls that clung to her forehead and  his other hand settled gently on
her abdomen.  He didn't know whether the  unborn children could actually
understand their father's thoughts or not, but he  prayed for intention.  It
was
warmth, safety, and love--for them and for  their mother.
~~Calista, sweetheart, talk to me.  You're safe  now~~
One hand clenched his own as she stirred weakly, the  emotions sorting
themselves out a bit as she drew peace and calm from one, and  the strength of
his
love from the other. "the babies?" she asked weakly, tears  beginning in her
eyes.
"I've got them," Christian reassured them both aloud  and mentally, as well.
"Relax and rest there in your beloved's arms. The shock  of the break is not
so far worn off yet that you can afford to worry for any but  yourself yet." He
seemed oddly fatigued already, yet continued to project  has he had, without
faltering, an overwhelming sense of calm and peace to  Calista and her unborn
children.
"They're worried about their mama, I'm sure," Pas said  softly, still gently
stroking her hair.  "Talk to me...talk to us,  sweetheart.  Your brother's
here.  I'm here.  You are safe, all  three of you are safe."
Calista settled back into the safety of Pas gentle  caresses, her eyes
fluttering slightly. "I...he's gone, Pas. Dead...and I ...I  can't
feel...anything.
No sorry, no remorse...no regret." She began to sob as  she admitted. "He's
gone, and I'm ...glad...he's gone..." ~am I still the  monster he wanted me to
be?~ her mind cried out. ~Does he still win after  all?~
~~No, Calista, no.  You are no monster. You're  doing what any good mother
might do.  You want to protect your  children,  Why would you engage in hateful
thoughts, even to acknowledge  them, if you thought it would hurt your
babies?~~  "Cry, sweetheart, but  it's okay.  You are no monster.  I love you.
Mika
loves  you.  Look at your crew mates.  I know it's a bit touchy still with
Viviana and Alex but Tawa thins the world of you and so do a lot of  others.
You are NO monster."
Christian shook his head, and sighed, continuing to project  gentle
assurances, peace and calm toward Calista and the babes she carried,  though
the toll
was becoming more and more visible. A thin sheen of perspiration  broke out
upon his fair skin and his hands began to shake.
Pas turned his dark eyes to his soon to be  brother-in-law.  ~~Christian,
stop.  I won't have you hurt yourself.  Talk to me...teach me...but I won't
have
you hurt...~
"It's not...something...I can teach you.." he gasped, his  face becoming
ashen. "You cannot...hold them...as I do..." he drew a shaking  breath. "Only
she
can...you have...to...to calm....her...." he fought to remain  conscious, the
waves of peace and calm faltering, but only for a moment. He  turned his back
to Pas, focusing his attention more fully on the children  Calista carried.
Pas' mouth thinned for a moment, knowing the other man was  right.
Still...he hated to see him so sickly pale looking.  "I owe  you, brother, and
I won't
ever be able to repay you.  Thank  you."   ~~Calista, there is no shame in not
loving someone who was no  father to you.  You have become so much better
than any monster you might  think you used to be.  See how Mika sees you...~~~
"You owe me nothing," Christian said softly through  clenched teeth, hardly
daring to spare the attention. "it is what family  does..." He faltered to his
knees, though he still refused to let go, cradling  the infants
gently...essentially "carrying" Calista's children for her, within a  bubble of
calm he'd
created within her womb....shielding them from the effects  of the shock she's
feeling, while simulating their connection to her....and now,  protecting them
from the desperation that crept in as the darkness threatened.
"Quickly...please..."
Pas knew his daughter's thoughts, as sweet and simple as  they were.  There
was that soft pink, glittery light, the one the smelled  of citrus,  that was
always Mika to him.  The light danced around the  bright white light that
smelled of jasmine.  The pink light seemed to  always reach for the white,
seeming
to play, seeming to embrace.  And, in  the background, himself, which, in what
always surprised him, was an almost  royal blue glow...
Calista seemed to relax as her light was enveloped in  Mika's own, and Pas'
as well, and smiled. Dear Mika. She surrounded herself in  the love and
laughter the two provided, like a cloak or shield, then slowly drew  their
newest
children back to her, adding their light to their own.
Christian let go as Calista took them, landing somewhat  unceremoniously upon
the floor, maintaining a tenuous connection then, despite  the darkness that
sought to overtake him, relieved yet reluctant to completely  withdraw until
he was sure all was well.
Poor Christian.  The man is going to have an awful  headache later, Pas
thought wryly.  He reached out mentally, though.   ~~Christian, come on.  join
us.~~~  He was an only child but he saw  what the man felt for his sister.  He
could see calling him  brother.
Christian returned within, but remained on the fringe, his  own light,
seemingly like yet surprisingly different from Calista's own, present  and yet
not
quite enmeshed with the others.
Pas was absolutely delighted.  Betazoid children  didn't usually develop
their psi talents until they were in their teens yet  these two tiny, fragile
beings were mental presences already.  ~~Oh,  Calista...this beautiful...it
just...Imzadi, you have made me happier than a man  deserves...~~
Calista caressed him gently, knowing without question it  was she who was in
debt. He'd made her whole, completed her as no other could,  and loved her
without question or judgement. Noting her brother's seeming  distance, she
reached out to him. ~Christian, please...it's only right they all  should know
the
other part of me...~
~~Please, Christian.  If I've allowed them to see  Mika's presence because
she'll be their sister, shouldn't they know their uncle,  who loves them
already, too?~~  His arm was still around Calista physically  but he held out a
mental hand, gesturing the other man  closer.
Christian moved slowly, tentatively closer, having no  desire to confuse them
this early on. Carefully, he added his own light to  theirs, mindful of the
balance they'd already achieved.
"Now, tell me, Christian.  Tell me what I need to do  to watch over
her..watch over them..."
Christian smiled slightly, gesturing toward the  intermingled lights,
caressing and supporting one another. "You don't need me to  tell you anything,
brother," he answered quietly. "You're already doing  it."
"I think, Calista," Pas said as he gently kissed he  forehead, "that we're
going to have to put you on light duty.  I don't want  anything to hurt
them...or you."  He sounded like an overprotective,  domineering jerk but it
wasn't
what he meant...  He gave Christian a wry  smile.  "As for you, I think a good
analgesic is in  order."
"Light duty..Pas, this isn't the time..." Calista protested  before Christian
cut her off.
"He's right, Cali. And you know he's right. If you value  those lives inside
you, you'll stop arguing now and rest." Before he could say  more, his stomach
lurched. Grabbing the nearest emesis basin, he lost the battle  to regain
control, becoming somewhat violently ill, then looked up at Pas
apologetically.
"An analgesic would be welcomed, thank  you."
Pas resisted the urge to laugh at the man, simply because  he knew his own
head was going to hurt later.  Instead, he slid his arm  away from Calista and
got up to go to the med cabinet there in the closed off  area.  He found the
appropriate preloaded hypo and held it up for Christian  to see.  "Your basic
broad spectrum analgesic," he said as he pressed it to  the other man's neck.
"She's not allergic to it so I doubt you are  either."
Pas turned his warm brown eyes to look at the beloved green  ones.  "Calista,
please.  I'll fill out the paperwork myself and have  Rachelle back me up.
If T'Leara gives you a hard time, she can talk to  me," he said simply.  He
didn't want to argue with the Vulcan woman but  there was only one compromise
and
light duty was it.
"To hell with T'Leara, this isn't about her. It's about me  and my job. I
have an important one, and a partner who counts on me,  sweetheart..I can't
just
not be there..." Calista looked at him frowning. How  could he even be
suggesting this right now, when there was still so much  going on.
"Believe me, imzadi, I know your job is important.   People in your line of
work have saved my neck way too many times than I care to  think.  I just want
you to be well..for them to be well..." Pas said.   He bit back a sigh.  The
last thing he wanted was for her to be angry with  him.
"Enough, Calista," Christian spoke gently but firmly from  where he sat.
"There are others to do what you can't, but you will not endanger  those two
again.  Do you understand? Pas will treat you kindly in his  request,
understanding
only that you are weakened and he loves you. He has no  desire to hurt you.
But the young have voices you have yet to hear, and I will  not have them
silenced because you put a ship before them." Looking at her  sternly, he
added.
"Would that Mother had thought so far forward. Magdalena  would be less fragile
then, would she not?"
Cali went white, then red with anger, but only for a  moment. When it passed,
she nodded, looking ashamed. "I'm sorry. You're right. I  have to put their
needs first." She looked at Pas lovingly. "See to it for  me?"
"No, Calista, we can see to it together," Pas said  gently.  "While I'd carry
you around and baby you if you'd let me, I don't  think I'd get too very far.
 We can talk to T'Leara.  I know there are  less stressful but equally
important things you can do."
"I'll leave you two to work it out," Christian said, rising  a bit unsteadily
from where he'd been seated. "I'm afraid I'm running late as it  is. I've got
to get ready for one of those terribly long and boring speech and  liquor
filled launch fiascos then ready the ship for our departure." He moved to  kiss
Calista on the cheek. ~Do as he says and all will be well. No arguing.
Please.~ He brushed a hand gently along her cheek, then turned to offer it to
Pas.
"Nice meeting you, Pas. Take care of them," He smiled, a smile so like
Calista's as to leave no question of their relation, adding, "And yourself, as
well."
Pas took the proffered hand, shook it warmly then, out of  instinct, gave the
man a hug.  "Thank you, Christian."  ~~For  everything.~~