[ussgeorgetown] Tentative Treaty by Darius Murgo and Elishvrachen ch'Thane

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:42:51 EDT

Except for his rather harsh encounter with Darius Murgo  in the brig of Deep
Space Nine, Lish had never really spoken to the man.   Yet he'd agreed to Mrs.
Murgo's request to help the family with Joshua and  Zachary.  It was purely
chance that the man walked into the mess hall as he  was thinking just that.
He noted the lack of rank pips, indeed the lack of  a uniform at all, and
readjusted his wording before he even spoke.

"Mr. Murgo, if you have the time, I would like to speak  to you," he said
simply.

Darius looked up at the blue man and had to catch  himself before he
reprimanded the boy about the lack of proper address.  You're retired now.
Useless
aboard this damn ship. "You must be the  shrink my wife was telling me about."
Darius replied aloud as he walked over and  ordered from the replicator.
"Coffee, strong, black."

Lish, out of a habit to show respect to his elders, did  stand up until
Darius was seated.  When he was re-seated himself, he nodded  his antennae and
head
toward him.  "One of two aboard the ship, sir.   I am Elishvrachen ch'Thane.
I met your wife earlier.  Your daughters,  as well.  They are lovely."

"Thank you." Darius couldn't help but beam at the  compliment to his girls,
Joanna included. Picking up his mug of coffee, or as  John called it "driveway
sealant", he took a long drink before looking at the  man across from him.
"What is it you want to know, Lieutenant."

"We had words earlier, sir.  Harsh ones and quite  a few that dealt with me
and my child, as well as Joshua," Lish began, keeping  his eyes and antennae
pointed at the older man.  "I do not know what has  passed between you and
Captain Hale but your wife has asked me to aid you all in  this situation with
Joshua and his brother.  It would not be fair to either  of us if there were
things hanging between us that prevented the right thing  from being done."

Darius looked at the man. "I pose no threat to you and  or your child and the
ones who did are no longer a threat." After taking another  gulp of coffee
Darius went on. "As for the rest, at the time, the words we had  fit the
moment,
and John and I will work things out, we always do. The children  however will
take work."

Lish's antennae twitched toward each other, a  shrug.  He would take the man
at his word for now but he was no fool.   He had every intention of speaking
to the captain about the matter.  "Nor  am I any threat to you, sir.  I am like
you and want only what is best for  my child. I imagine the girls are a bit
overwhelmed by the recent  events."

"Abbie's confused and Frankie feels threatened." he  replied before
retrieving a second cup of coffee.

"Ah, Abbie is the one I saw talking to Dr.  tr'Ghaladriel.  I think she
amused him greatly.  She seems very  bright, Mr. Murgo.  Where do you suppose
the
confusion lies?" Lish  asked.

Again Darius beamed. "Of all my girls Abbie is most  like her mother, which
of course means she will rebel the most against Jo." That  he was not looking
forward too. "Wouldn't you be confused if you were suddenly  told your dead
brother isn't dead and that he doesn't even know he's your  brother?"

"The truth is always best but you have to put in terms  that a child her age
would understand.  Children are never so innocent as  they seem.  I dread the
day my zhei is old enough to ask questions and I  have to tell her that I
might have been wrong," he said quietly.  "There is  strength in admitting
weaknesses."

"Children shouldn't have to face their parents  weaknesses at such young
ages," Darius replied.

"If they are old enough to ask then they are old enough  for answers that
they understand, though, sir," Lish insisted.  "I do not  believe for one
moment
that this will lessen their feeling for  you."

Darius looked into his coffee mug. "Even when they find  out I tried to have
him sent back to hell."

"Even then.  Mr. Murgo, I know there is an Earth  religion that states that
no one can hope to reach the level of a man who is  truly repentant.  That is
what you need to make clear to them--that you  have had the change of heart,"
Lish told him.  "Yes, you will have to admit  that you did some bad things but
now you know they were wrong."

Going for his third cup off sludge Darius asked, "And  what of Josh? How do I
make this up to him."

"You are going to give yourself a very bad case of  hypertension if you keep
drinking that stuff," Lish remarked upon seeing the  third cup.  Brushing back
braids from his face, he tapped his mouth with  two fingers thoughtfully.
"Joshua is not like too many other people at  all, sir.  He speaks differently
and he certainly thinks differently than  most Humans.  It will take time."

Darius glanced at the cup in his hand and laughed. "My  wife insists that
coffee passes through my veins more then my blood does. I've  been drinking
this
stuff like this since I was sixteen, Lieutenant. I hardly  think if it hasn't
killed me before now it's not likely to." Sitting down again  he looked into
the depths of his coffee. "For now I guess time is all we have."  He looked up
at Lish then. "As I'm sure Joanna's told, you we're staying on  board. I've
requested early retirement."

Lish tilted his head curiously, white lashes blinking  in surprise.  "No, she
did not tell me that.  That room was quite  chaotic," he said softly, though
his eyes were crinkled.  "What will you  do?  I know your girls were getting
along very well with Dr. Kaartaren's  daughter."

"I'm not sure what I'll do." Darius replied honestly.  "Being in Star Fleet,
being an officer is all I've ever known, but given  the choice between my pips
and my family I've chosen my  family."

"I cannot fault that choice.  It is the reason I  transferred to this ship as
the previous one made my bondmate....I believe the  expression he used was
'it gives me the creeps'," Lish explained.  He sat  in silence a few moments,
thinking.  It was not going to be easy for the  man, sitting on the other side
of the force field now.  Eventually, though,  one white brow went up, in an
unconscious imitation of Seren.  "There a  number of civilians aboard now, sir.

If they have a question or problem,  they often come to myself or Dr.
Kaartaren but even we are still  Starfleet.  Perhaps a man in such a position
as you
are  now..."

Darius saw where this was going and it made him laugh.  "A civilian liaison?
Doesn't a ship this size, one made for families, already  have one?"

"No, sir, we do not.  I have no idea why.   You would have to ask Commander
Menkara about that but if you feel that it is a  suitable idea, I can ask the
captain."

"Thanks for the offer, Lieutenant, but I don't need  anyone going to John on
my behalf."

Lish finished his tea and his eyes crinkled.  "Or  you may ask him yourself
if you wish.  It is merely an option.  I  imagine it is going to be something
of a readjustment to go from such a busy  position as you had," he began.  It
was as polite as he could say it  without hissing.  The whole thing still
rankled.  "I believe Humans  say idle hands are a demon's work shop..."

Darius emptied yet another cup off coffee. "In my case  busy hands were the
devil's work." He looked down into the empty mug and then  set it aside. "I
think I'll just spend time with my family for awhile, but I'll  keep your idea
in
mind."

"As you wish, sir, though I will be seeing you more  often then you think.  I
will tell you the same thing I told your wife--if  you prefer Dr. Kaartaren's
help rather than mine, there will be no ill will,"  Lish said simply, trying
not to make a face at the coffee.  At least now I  know where that gene came
from....

"Joanna clearly had her reasons for choosing you and I  won't question her
decision." Darius answered. "Knowing her she picked you due  to your connection
to Josh or to her girl."

"Most likely so since we served together on our  previous posting," Lish
agreed.  He stood up.  It was not an Andorian  gesture but he understood its
meaning amongst Humans and it had ceased to bother  him a long time before
then.
He held his hand.  "Mr. Murgo, I am not  saying it will be easy or that things
will always be so amicable but I can say  welcome aboard."

Darius stood and shook Lish's hand. "Thank you,  Lieutenant."