[ussgeorgetown] Dreaming in the Real World by Drs Coyne & Michaels,Cns. ch'Thane, & Josh Garrity

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: ussgeorgetown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:36:10 EDT

***takes place  during 'A Game Interrupted'
"One of us  should stay nearby, N'Ellie," Lish said softly as he left with
her.  "My  antennae are tingling and that always tells me something is going to
happen."
"I'm not going  anywhere until Mac comes and makes me go get some sleep of my
own." N'Ellie  replied.
Josh's heart  rate increasing slightly as the panic registered, his
subconscious mind even in  this exhausted state recognizing and remembering
that which
his conscious  mind suppressed...
Lish shook his  head and antennae.  "I could do the same but I am fond of
breathing."
Making a quick  pit stop at her locker, N'Ellie pulled out several of the
medical texts that  Doctor Michaels had assigned for the week. "Why we need to
know about sexually  transmitted diseases of the Breen I'll never know." She
muttered to herself  as she headed back to Josh's room. As she turned the
corner
however, something  made her stop. It had felt like a soft touch at first, but
the simple touch that  had brushed across her mind was becoming more and more
painful. Suddenly  N'Ellie's mind flashed with dizzying images that she
didn't know or understand.  Dropping her PADDs, N'Ellie reached out to steady
herself as the pain ebbed,  knocking over a tray full of supplies.
Lish had been  about to approach Dr. Michaels' office when he heard a rather
loud thud.   "What...?  N'Ellie!" he said as sharply as he could, kneeling at
his  side.  "Are you alright?"
N'Ellie slowly  sank to her knees as the images came fast and hit hard.
"N'Ellie...what's wrong?" Lish asked.
Josh's breathing  changed, became more shallow then...the fear increasing
tenfold...
As the images  continued a face suddenly became clear. With absolute fear in
her eyes, N'Ellie  looked up at Lish and managed get out...  "Josh.."
As slender as he  was, Lish was rather strong and he hauled N'Ellie to her
feet, steadying her  with one arm.  'Let's go see, shall we?"
His hands  fluttered uselessly at his sides, as though seeking a way to
change that which  had already long-since occurred...his panic was almost
tangible
now...
N'Ellie nodded  and accepted Lish's help as they walked towards Josh's room.
Tears were welling  in and falling from her dark eyes as the scenes and
emotions played out in her  head.
Lish stepped  into the room and let loose a sharp hiss of surprise.  This he
recognized.  His gray eyes narrowed and he shook his head as he looked at
N'Ellie.  "Nightmares.  We must waken him before he hurts himself  more..."
His sleeping  form seemed overtaken then with an eerily unnatural, almost
haunting sort of  calm...as if all emotion of any kind had simply  drained
away...
"We.. We can't  touch him to...wake him...He'll lash...out." N'Ellie replied,
closing her eyes  as she did so. If their walls were so weak that he was
inside her  head, then maybe she could get into his. Josh. Josh please wake
up.

"I can certainly try, though," Lish said.  He knelt next  to Josh and spoke
in the same tone his zhavey used to waken him. "Joshua...come  back to the
conscious world.  Enough of that which is only in dreams  now..."
The panic seemed  to rise again, his breathing coming in ragged gasps, as
though he were suddenly  strangling on the air itself...

Sinking to the  floor close to where Josh was laying, N'Ellie reached out
towards the emotions  more than the images. Josh where are you? Please wake up,
Josh.
He shifted, as  though drawing back from unseen hands, the terror etched in
every muscle as they  tightened, clenching as though preparing to  fight...or
flee...
The darkness around N'Ellie gave way  to bright lights and a very tacky room
of some kind. As she looked around  she thought that the room seemed like
someone had wanted to show they had money  so they threw in as much so called
finery as they manage. "Josh are you here?"  She asked before she'd caught
sight
of a tall curly headed boy hanging from  the rafters and a man.. a man? with a
stick of some sort. The eyes were  what drew N'Ellie closer. "Josh?"
He cried out, screaming as the white  hot brand bore into his skin...searing
it's mark into him...the mark of a slave.  Tam retrieved his staff laughing,
sizing him up again, his eyes filled with  hatred and longing...

Rage filled N'Ellie as she watched  the scene play out before her. Grabbed
the nearest think she could, a staff of  some kind, she swung hard but the
wooden staff went right through the image of  the man as if he were nothing
more
then a non-sold hologram.
The curly haired boy was thrown  back, then, after what seemed an eternity,
naked and bleeding and only just  barely conscious, prodded then back to work.
N'Ellie watched the little boy until  he was so far down the dark tunnel that
she couldn't see him anymore. Slamming  her eyes closed, trying really hard
not to think about how the boy had a certain  look that reminded her a little
of the girls, she called out. "Josh! Josh please  wake up! Please!"
and still the scene changed once  again....
He began to  shake uncontrollably, his breathing coming now in harsh and
painful  gasps...
Slumping to the  floor from her sitting position, N'Ellie's heart rate
spiked, her body twitched  lightly, and her eyes moved behind her lids at an
abnormal speed. She wasn't in  REM sleep.  She'd slipped into a telepathic link
with
Josh and was now  dreaming his dream.
Hilliard wielded the pain stick,  smiling. "you're going to prove me right,
you know...here and now...we'll see  the truth..."

N'Ellie blinked at the sight of the  Admiral holding the Klingon pain stick
high in the air. Then her gaze drifted  downwards towards the lump on the
floor. "JOSH!" Without a second thought  N'Ellie lunged, throwing herself on
top of
Josh.

The  female with him in medical blues, took out the tricorder, the hypo spray
and  small EIS unit, ready to restart him when at last he shut down. then she
sat  back with the stopwatch, ready to time him again.

"Are we  ready?" Hilliard asked. At her nod, he smiled grimly. "Bring him up
again." he  told the two men in security reds, who dragged him again to his
feet. Once  he was secured, Hilliard applied the pain stick again, actually
laughing when  Josh cried out at last, holding the instrument there until the
boy
teetered on  the edge of consciousness again, then nodding to the doctor to
once again  bring him back. "Reset it." He demanded yet again.

She'd  gone right through Josh just as the staff had gone through that evil
man in the  tacky room. N'Ellie watched as tears rolled down her cheeks as the
Admiral beat  Josh over and over. She roared loudly and lunged again, this
time at the Admiral  and the doctor, but again she simply passed through them.
Sinking to her knees,  her eyes slammed closed she called out yet again. "Josh!
Josh please! Don't you  know I'm here?!"

The room  seemed to waver...as though the scene might change again, and
then...

Josh jolted  awake from the nightmare dreams, bolting upright to the fading
sound of screams  and scent of burning flesh, then gasped, what slight color
he'd gained draining  quickly as the pain brought on by the violence of the
movement tore through his  hip, leg and chest. He laid back gingerly on the
bedroll again, trying  desperately to draw even a shallow breath, blinking away
the
tears that  threatened. After what seemed an eternity, he coughed weakly,
rolling to his  uninjured side as his lungs again found air at last.

The scene  started waver and suddenly N'Ellie found herself alone in the
darkness.

A few  feet from Josh's shallow bedroll, N'Ellie lay perfectly still, her
breathing  shallow and weak, and her eyes rolled back in her head under her
closed  eyelids.
Two of Lish's  slender blue fingers reached to feel the pulse point on
N'Ellie's neck.   Good, he thought.  Still in a crouch, he moved to Josh's
side.
Calm  gray eyes regarded the pale man.  "Let's talk, Joshua.  We both know  of
that which plagues you..."
Josh shook his  head, his eyes turning to where N'Ellie lay as his hands
reached to unbind  himself from the machines. She needed help, and she needed
it
now. "Please..."  he whispered almost desperately, prepared to drag himself to
where she lay if  need be.
"That may well  be the first thing we should do, Joshua," Lish said as he
knelt next to N'Ellie,  "But stay still yourself. I will see to her.  After she
comes to, the three  of us will talk.  It is clear that she knows a bit more
than I  thought."   He whispered in N'Ellie's ear.  "wake up,  N'Ellie.  It is
perfectly safe.  It's just me and Joshua  here."
N'Ellie didn't  respond.
A whispered  voice pieced the dark. Lish?
He wasn't  telepathic but he knew how the mind speaking felt, after being
bonded to  Seren.  It always made his antennae twitch slightly but it wasn't
bothersome.  ~~It's me~~
I can't find  Josh and it's really dark here.
~~Joshua is in  the waking world, N'Ellie.  I have no doubt but that what
you're seeing is  one of his nightmares.  You can't stay here.  It's not
healthy
or  safe~~
I don't know  where here is, Lish. It's dark here and I'm alone.
Lish bit back a  mental sigh.  His hand was wrapped around N'Ellie's and he
looked straight  at Josh.  "She is not as strong as Dr. Kaartaren, Joshua.  I
cannot  guide her.  She needs your help."  ~~Calm, N'Ellie.  You are not
alone.~~
"Mine..but...I'm not...I don't know  how," Josh answered through clenched
teeth, still battling the discomfort.  ~N'Ellie...what's happening? What can I
do?~

~Josh? Where are you?~

"Both of you, listen to me.  Joshua, there is  another form of speaking.  I
know that you and Zachary practice it.   So does N'Ellie.  There is no fear
that anyone will know other than who  already knows.  What would you do,
Joshua,
if it were your brother who was  so lost"

Josh considered Lish's words a moment, trying hard to understand. Then it
occurred to him. N'Ellie seemed to understand the colony language he and
Zachary
 remembered. ~N'Ellie...can you hear me? Can you follow the sound you hear
this way?~

~I can hear you but I don't know where you are. It's dark here, Josh.~  She
moved towards the sound of Josh's voice. ~Where are you? Why can't I see  you?~

"You need to how her a path, Joshua.  You are the one who knows the  way,"
Lish told him.

Josh nodded, then closed his eyes, looking at the world as she was. Light,
he thought. That's first...

he reached to his left and drew a torch to him, burning
brightly...illuminating the way to her...

~N'Ellie...keep talking...and keep watching...I'm coming to  you.~

~I think I mess up, Josh.~ She stopped, not sure  where his voice was. ~I
tried to wake you up but I did it wrong.~ There was a  flicker of light and she
headed towards it.

Josh shook his head slightly. ~no, you did it right, at least...you did  that
part right... I'm awake...~ He saw her just ahead of him. In a blink, he  was
there beside her. ~Take my hand. It's time for you to wake up  too...okay?~

N'Ellie took his hand and looked at him. ~Is this  still a dream?"

Lish's eyes crinkled.  He could feel her coming  closer. ~~N'Ellie, I believe
the term is nightmare.  You are  experiencing echoes of one.  I think Dr.
Kaartaren is one of the few people  able to withstand their strength~~

~Oh.~ She replied simply as she followed Josh.

...grasping her hand firmly Josh turned, a "door" of sorts  appearing before
them. ~you first this time~ he told her. ~I'll be right behind  you.~

N'Ellie smiled at Josh, holding his hand tightly, then went through the
door.

Her breathing was still weak and shallow, but slowly N'Ellie began to stir.

Josh opened his eyes, then, blinking against the light, and looked over
toward where she lay. ~still with me?~

Taking a deep breath, N'Ellie eyes fluttered open.

Josh nodded, allowing himself to breath then, and closed his eyes  again.

I'm not going anywhere.

N'Ellie's eyes opened fully and took a moment to look  around before she
staggered to her feet. "I think I'm going to be sick." Dashing  out of the room
she ran down the hall to the bathroom.

Josh looked after her, his eyes clearly expressing the depth of his  concern,
when the nausea hit and he groaned. "Me too..." he agreed, almost  inaudibly.

Lish kept his mouth shut, saying nothing about the dull headache he felt
forming.  Eh, there are analgesics to be had later, he told himself.   Instead,
he rose gracefully to his feet and got Josh an emesis basin.

"Just in case," he said softly as he put it in front of him.  Gray  eyes were
liquid with compassion and concern.  "I think she'll be fine,  Joshua, but
I'll ask Dr. Kaartaren later."  He tilted his head  quizzically.  "She is the
only...other, isn't she?"

It took a moment for Josh to understand what Lish was asking. Once it
dawned, he hesitated still, then nodded. Yes. They were the only two he spoke
that
language with.

"I thought as much," Lish said simply.  He held up a hand, palm  upwards in a
gesture of acceptance.  "That is between you and your brother,  N'Ellie, me
and Dr. Kaartaren until you say otherwise.  Just remember to  speak aloud when
you are supposed to.  Certain people find it disconcerting  otherwise."  He
took a breath then continued.  "They are worse, are  they not?"

Shuddering visibly at the though of the near-paralyzing panic he felt upon
waking, as he always had, that exhaustive fear, Joshua nodded  slightly. Even
he had to admit that usually the periods between waking and  sleeping were
longer. He could honestly lay claim to at least a bit of genuine  rest before
it
all came to a head until now. All seemed faster, more  violent and vivid than
they had even before. Now it seemed as though he  went from one moment of panic
to the next, with only the waking  sensations of pain and fatigue between
them, yet still faded, leaving  no traces of conscious memory.

A gentle touch, no more than a hair's weight on his shoulder.  "As I  see it,
there are several things we can try.  Medication is one--though I  hate the
thought of adding more than you have.  There's also training with  Dr.
Kaartaren--small sessions at a time..."

Josh shook his head at both ideas. "No ..no more meds...and no more  doctors.
It...it will ease. Eventually." He closed his eyes, exhausted beyond  words,
yet refused to allow himself to fall asleep again. Not yet. He could only
just barely breathe from last time yet...

"I thought not but I had to offer the ideas up to you.  There is  another
idea that you may find much more palatable.  Suppose that certain  people took
turns staying here with you so that they might wake you before you  do more
damage to yourself.  That would include, for example, Mac or  N'Ellie.  Perhaps
Zachary and Mr. Menkara," Lish explained.  He had no  idea what was going on
with the latter, who always seemed so remote, but it was  apparent that the man
had some sort of trusted relationship with the younger  brother.

Josh considered that option a moment, then shook his head again. "..you
tried that..." he answered softly, reminding Lish of what had just happened.
Had
he and N'Ellie not just tried to wake him, causing N'Ellie discomfort in the
process. No. He would have none of that, either. "It will ease." He said
again,  though his voice sounded drained and distant.

Lish tilted his head, his version of shaking it to say 'no'.  "We  weren't
trying, Joshua.  Certainly N'Ellie and I were watching over you but  you know
she is part Betazoid.  She was simply not prepared.  She is  your friend.
Allow
her to try.  It is entirely up to her but Dr.  Kaartaren can help her shore
up what psi shields she needs to."  Lish was  still sitting cross legged on the
floor and he settled his chin on his  hand.  "Until it does ease, would it
not be preferable to have someone  nearby to help?"

Again, Josh shook his head. "Not...worth...the risk..." he said, his voice
seeming to drift further away as sleep threatened to reclaim him once again.
Feeling the soporific effect take hold, he jolted himself awake yet again,
preferring the pain to the panic.

"I think they would all disagree if I asked each of them.  Mac has  fought
for you time and again.  Apparently so has Mr. Menkara. So would  N'Ellie,"
Lish
told him.  His eyes crinkled.  "In fact, so would  Enarrain S'Aehallh'Nveni.
He likes you."

That seemed to surprise Josh, who looked at Lish as though he thought
perhaps he was telling a tale. "Why?" he asked when at last he'd caught his
breath
again. Then, deciding it didn't matter, he responded to the rest of  Lish's
statement in his own language,"They would be mistaken.
N'Ellie...Mac...Zachary...Senek...."He paused a moment, then admitted,
"...You..." he sighed softly,
shaking his head yet again. He looked at Lish  earnestly. "I have hurt people
before...over less troubling dreams.  Please... it is not worth the risk to
me."

"Joshua, aside from the obvious effects the dreams have on you mentally,
tell me what the risk is to you.  That you might inadvertently hurt the  others
is a risk that, again, I am certain they would be willing to take."

"I am not," Joshua insisted, his eyes pleading with Lish not to  push this.

"Why don't you let me decide what risks I feel worth  taking?" N'Ellie asked
from the door way. She looked like something the cat drug  in and then the dog
ate and threw up again.

Josh sighed and shook his head. They weren't understanding him. Whether by
choice or mere circumstance, it appeared they weren't hearing him, or if they
were, they were simply not listening. Desperation welled within him, a sense
of  losing still more control over himself and his surroundings, bringing with
it  the panic he'd felt in his dreams. Would it always be so? he wondered,  as
he tried to fight it down before it became too obvious to them, again
seeking exits he might make use of in the hopes of finding safer refuge.

"You're worth it to me, Josh." N'Ellie said as she sat  down on the floor
near Josh.

It felt as though he were drowning in it, the panic that thought brought.
She could be hurt. Or worse...she was already hurt trying to help. Had he been
unable to lead her out, what then?

The air seemed abruptly unbreathable...the room no more safe than his  dreams
had been...

this is how it starts, something inside him whispered...this is how  they
leave you behind, for all their good intentions...this is where the  pain
begins...

"be invisible..." the slightly accented voice whispered again,"don't  let
them close...don't let them see you...don't let them sense you are  here..."

Walls that had fallen returned with a vengeance of their own accord, his
eyes rolling back as the pain and panic took full hold, stealing his very
breath. He would not let her be hurt for his sake...he couldn't...not if he
could
prevent it. But how?

N'Ellie felt the walls slam closed in her mind and the  sudden lost of Josh's
clear voice, the return of his whitewash, nearly made her  cry. "You've
blocked me out.." She said softly, trying in vain to keep the hurt  out of her
voice. "Pourquoi?"

He couldn't answer. He couldn't breathe. He was past thought as the real
world slowly tilted, rolling him toward the darkness of his dreams...a darkness

that threatened to swallow him whole.

A tear rolled down N'Ellie's check and she quickly  wiped at it with her
shoulder. Standing she walked over to the medical supplies  and picked up to
Alpha
wave inhibitors. Walking back over to Josh she explained,  "This will allow
you to sleep without dreaming. They block certain brain waves.  They'll also
keep you from projecting so I can stay here without you worrying  about me
being
hurt." She placed them on his forehead before he could protest  and then
turned them on. Turning to Lish she said, "He'll be in a physical sleep  soon,
but
he'll get nothing more then white noise in mentally."

The more he panicked, the more he tensed, causing more pain, making it
harder to breathe the already unbreathable air,  which caused more panic.  It
was
as if a whirlpool had started, steadily drawing him further and further  into
the blackness. He wanted to understand. Blocked her how? Why what? He  needed
to know why she cried, and how to stop the flow of tears but he couldn't
ask....he couldn't speak...couldn't breathe...

he choked on the smell of smoke on burning flesh as the screams resounded
once again, drowning out whatever else they might have said...

N'Ellie noticed the change in Josh's breathing and  quickly grabbed a
tricorder. "Fuck!" Grabbing a hypo she started loading the  proper meds.
"Computer
reset alarms." Pressing the hypo to Josh's neck she  watched the monitors.

Slowly the blackness seemed to recede at the world righted itself once
again. The screams of the dying faded, replaced by the screaming monitors
overhead. He coughed as the burning sensation slowly left him, blinking against
 the
stinging tears that had welled up against the acrid smoke, and the  sights and
sounds of the world he was in, with Lish and N'Ellie beside him  still, came
to view once again. He fixed his gaze on the lights overhead,  embracing the
calm that seemed to surround him, breathing as slowly and  deeply as his
bruised
lungs would allow, even as his eyes registered the  confusion he felt. What
was all that? The screams...the smoke...

What had just happened?

Sighing in relief, N'Ellie smiled weakly down at him.  "That was close." She
prepared two more hypos, one of which would knock him out.  She pressed each
in turn to his neck, and then laid down beside him after  turning the
inhibitors up a level. "You can relax now, Josh. The dreams will not  come
back, at
least for now. It's safe. Just relax."

Josh slowly relaxed into the drug induced peace that settled over him,
unable to fight it. He couldn't seem to find his voice to protest as he felt
himself drifting. He blinked slowly as his eyelids grew heavier still, closing
at
last and refusing to open. With a soft sigh, he gave up at last, drifting at
last into a deep and mercifully dreamless sleep.

Once she was sure he was sleeping peacefully, N'Ellie  reached out and combed
her fingers through his hair, her own body finally  relaxing.

Lish's entire body was whip tense until N'Ellie's hands  caressed the
sleeping young man.  "N'Ellie, I know that it is not  physically healthy to not
dream
but we have to find a way to redirect the dreams  or to change them. I know
there is a certain drug that allows a person to halt a  dream, as it were,
simply saying 'no' mentally until there is a more preferable  choice.  It is
quite
old..."  He touched a hand to N'Ellie's  face.  A bit damp with exertion but
not too bad.  "And did you hear  the other suggestion I made to him?"

N'Ellie simply shook her head. She might have but she  couldn't remember.

"I suggested to him that certain people take turns  staying with him so that
if he should start to dream, there will be someone  there to wake him.  It
would be someone he trusted--you, his brother, Mr.  Mc Entire...even Mr.
Menkara,
which I am not entirely sure I understand at  all."

"How would waking him from the sleep he needs be any  less damaging then
blocking his dreams?" N'Ellie asked as she looked over at  Lish. "He needs rest
and we have the means to give it to him medically. Let him  deal with the
dreams
and everything else when he is stronger."

Lish tapped his temple.  "The brain of a Human  needs to dream, N'Ellie.  If
it doesn't, it can cause  severe psychoses.  He is unique now but not so
unique that it would  not effect him."

"I did manage to make it out of medical school, Lish."  N'Ellie spat. "I do
know how the human body works. We can  simulate the  physical aspects of
dreaming. It won't hurt him not to have nightmares for a few  days, long enough
for
his body to heal."

Lish blew out a soft sigh, knowing he was in a  difficult spot but he felt
obligated to point something out.  "Did you not  notice what effect that alpha
blocker caused already?"

N'Ellie pointed to the monitor. "It wasn't the blocker.  His breathing became
impaired before I put the Kahlassdamed things on him. You  might be his
shrink but I'm his doctor. If you have a problem with how I'm  treating him
take it
up with Michaels."

"N'Ellie...please.  Listen to me.  You know  very well how different Joshua
is but believe when I tell you that Dr. Kaartaren  is very thorough when he
does his work.  He wrote me the most extensive set  of notes when he first
worked
with Joshua.  The dreams...though he is  slowly learning otherwise, they are
all that he knew for years.  To take  that away so suddenly, it is not
healthy," Lish told her, endeavoring to keep  himself calm.

"It's not like this is a forever fix." N'Ellie replied.  "As soon as his body
has healed a little more then the dreams can be dealt with.  He needs to
rest, to sleep through a full night, he won't get that without the  blockers. I
won't remove them unless ordered to by Michaels."

"I do not believe he's ever slept an entire night,"  Lish murmured.  He blew
out a soft breath.  "N'Ellie, what about  Zachary?  You know how closely
bonded they are."

"Zack would want his brother to get better and not to  die." N'Ellie looked
down at Josh again, bringing her knees to her chest since  she was sitting up
again.

"I should think so but that is not what I meant," Lish  said patiently.  "you
are among the very few who know what the two of them  share.  The alpha wave
is an important part of psi communication in  Humans.  The device may be
effecting Zachary without our  knowledge."

N'Ellie glared harshly at Lish. "First you tell me how  to be a doctor and
now your telling me how to be a telepath? Wanna tell me some  relevant
information about being Klingon next, mister know it  all?"

Lish's antennae were rather tense by then which meant  irritation was
definitely creeping into his judgement.  He tilted his head  slightly and said,
"I
was not trying to 'tell' you anything, N'Ellie.  I  know nothing about being a
Klingon other than blood wine leaves a very  disagreeable taste in my mouth. I
am simply trying to explain from prior  knowledge.  That is all."

"Well I didn't ask for a consultation." N'Ellie was  beyond tired and still
feeling the effects of her trip into Josh's mind. She  just wanted to take care
of him and not have her every move judged and second  guessed. That drove her
nuts on a good day, it was driving her mad  today.

Lish looked at her from under his braids,  thinking.  She looked tired and in
pain.  Perhaps, he told himself, it  is time to switch tracks.  He left the
area and returned a moment later  with a steaming mug of something, which he
held out to her.  "Treltha tea,"  he explained.  "It is native to Andor and has
beneficial effects for  us.  I know it has no effect on any part of your make
up but I'm told it  tastes goo in any case."

A voice from the doorway interrupted  them. "I have a suggestion as well."
Rachelle walked the rest of the way in,  none of them had noticed her standing
in the doorway watching and listening. She  had been alerted almost at once by
both the alarms she had set on the monitors  and the FindMe patch transmitting
the data to her console. "I learned about this  during med school but I had
forgotten until recently. It's called lucid dreaming  and can help in some
cases like this."

N'Ellie accepted the tea and then nearly jumped  at Rachelle's sudden
appearance. She would have flinched at the thought of the  elder doctor over
hearing
her comments to Lish, but at this point she didn't  care. "Shouldn't he heal
more before we start dealing with dreams? I mean I'm  perfectly fine and look
at me? I look like something a targ threw  up."

"I hardly think so, N'Ellie," Lish said softly.   "Perhaps a bit tired and
out of sorts but you do not look so bad."  He  turned his attention to
Rachelle,
giving her a respectful nod of his antennae  and head.  "If you would please
explain, ma'am?  I've heard of this  but not enough to practice it."

"Basically, lucid dreaming is a method  used to direct dreams, to remind our
subconscious that while what we see might  go to extremes, it's not a curent
event. It's not happening except in the dreams  themselves. The dreamer learns
to take charge of the dreamscape." Rachelle  turned to N'Ellie. "I'm not
saying he has to start right this minute but Lish  does have a point. We can
only
use the inhibitors for a short period of time or  we'll cause more harm than
good. The human mind and body need to be free to do  what comes naturally to be
whole and healthy. I have the basics on this in the  database and we can use
the stations resources as well if necessary. For now, we  can leave the
blockers in place long enough for him to get some uninterrupted  sleep, so long
as
they do not have an influence on Zachary as well."

"He's not going to jump at the chance to do this."  N'Ellie replied, a bit
miffed that she was being treated as a first year medical  student. "He doesn't
want anyone to know he has them, let alone what they're  about."