[ussbansheec] The Mustang

  • From: "Moria Grace" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:42:11 -0400

"The Mustang"
Moria McEntire

It was a small room, not much bigger then the one Moria had had back home, but
unlike her tiny little studio in the back of the house near her mother's
office, this room had a huge skylight that flooded the space with the warm
morning sun. Moria moved carefully though the room as she gathered her paints.
Normally she had plenty of room to move around, but the canvas and easel in the
middle of the room was much larger then anything she'd ever done before.

"During the Dreamtime, there were no people, no plants and no trees. The
Guthi-Guthi lived up in the sky and wanted to create a land that was special
for people and animals to live in. So he did. He came down and went on creating
the land for the people - after he'd set the borders in place and the sacred
sights, the birthing places of all the Dreamings, where all our Dreamings were
to come out of."

Her mother's voice rang softly through the room as Moria mixed her paints and
she smiled brightly. The chips, all of which contained her mother telling her
Dreamtime stories, had been tucked away in her satchel, and Moria had found
them while she was unpacking. She must have listened to them all a hundred
times by now. Closing her eyes for a moment, Moria listened to her mother's
voice telling her about the water serpent, and then when she opened them she
touched her brush carefully to her canvas.

She was so lost in the story and her work that Moria didn't hear the first
couple of knocks on her door. It took a very clear tenor voice calling her name
to draw her away from the place she was in.

"Moria?"

Turning quickly to see who was calling her, Moria sloshed paint onto her shirt.
"Sam." She smiled at the tall Romulan hybrid who was leaning on her door jam.

Samual smiled in return. "Hope you don't mind the intrusion, lhhei, but your
roommate told me I could find you here."

Moria felt the cold wetness of the paint seeping through her shirt and blushed
as she looked down at it. Grabbing the rag she used to clean her brushes she
dabbed at the mess as she looked back up only to have her eyes lock with Sam's
honey ones. Her body burned and froze all at once when she looked into his
eyes. "No I don't mind." She replied.

Stepping into the small studio Sam walked over to Moria and her paining.
"That's really good, Ihhei."

"It's my mother's rock." She told him. The confused look on his face made her
giggle and explain, "It's Uluru. It's one of my mother's most favorite places
anywhere. She grew up here ya know." Moria beamed. "Anyway, I'm hoping it'll be
good enough to give her for Christmas."

Sam looked at the painting closely while listening to the female voice playing
in the background. "I have no doubt it'll be remarkable." Pausing a moment, he
titled his head to the side. "What are you listening too?"

"Oh!" Moria blushed and walked over to the small computer terminal and turned
off the story. Ejecting the chip she put it back in it's box with the others
and then slipped the box into her bag. "It's my mother." She blushed. He must
think I'm a Mummy's girl.. Well, ok, I am a Mummy's girl, but he doesn't need
to think that!

"What was she speaking of?" Sam's eyes danced as he watched Moria moving about
the room.

Where was the hardness that Romulans were suppose to have? The cold holier then
thou attitude? The only things Moria could see in Sam was his gentle kindness
and genuine interest in everything he asked her about. "She was telling a
Dreamtime story."

"Dreamtime story? It sounded as if it had the same rhythmic pattern as the
stories Joseph and Noah speak of "

Moria nodded. "Dreamtime stories are aboriginal. They belong to the native
people of this land. The reason they sound somewhat like Noah's is because Noah
and Joseph come from one of the few remaining tribes of native people to
Earth's North American continent."

"Your mother's a native then?" Sam asked as he watched Moria cleaning up.

"Not in terms of coming from an aboriginal tribe, but she is Australian, yes."
Picking up her brushes Moria dumped them into a bucket of warm water and
turpentine, and then set about cleaning up her paints and putting them away,
though she wasn't sure why she was cleaning up. She'd planned on being there
all day since it was a Saturday and she didn't have any classes.

Sam chuckled. "Hearing her voice clears up your accent for me."

Moria blinked. "I have an accent?" The look on Sam's face made Moria laugh and
then wink at him. "I know I sound strange. It's an odd mix of Californian and
Australian."

"I didn't say I found it strange. I rather like it in fact." Sam said boldly.

Dropping her head quickly as she rinsed off her brushes, Moria hoped that Sam
hadn't seen her blush. "So you went by my dorm?"

Sam nodded. "I had the day off, first in a month, and I wanted to ask if you'd
care to take a ride with me."

Looking up from the sink and over her shoulder, Moria asked. "A ride?"

"Yes. I just finished rebuilding an old Mustang, that's a car, a ground vehicle
with a combustion engine." Sam replied as he leaned against the wall.

Moria laughed deeply. "I know what a car is, Sam. We have a couple of them on
the ranch. Both my parents drove cars, and my Dad taught me how when I was
seventeen." Laughing even harder as she walked towards him she added,
"Actually, my Mummy tried to teach me first but I kinda made her nervous. She
kinda threw the keys at my Dad and told him, "Your daughter has a bloody lead
foot and doesn't seem to understand the term speed limit." She still won't get
into a car with me driving."

Sam laughed a deep chested laugh that made Moria beam. "Does that mean you want
to come?"

"Give me a few minutes to change and get cleaned up?" Moria asked with a smile.

Walking over to her, Sam picked up a clean towel and wiped orange paint for her
nose. "Shall I wait downstairs?"

Moria's breath caught in her chest. He was so close she could feel his warmth
and smell his scent. His touch made her heart beat faster and her skin tingle.
Nodding her head in response to his question until she could breath again, she
hesitantly stepped back from him. "You'll get paint on your shirt."

Sam smiled. "I have six others that are all the same."

"Five," Moria grinned sheepishly. "I still have the one you let me wear when
you walked me home. I've been meaning to send it back to you via Joseph."

Sam's smile never seemed to fade. "Keep it until you can give it to me
yourself."

"Ok." Moria answered as she looked up into his handsome face. "Give me ten
minutes?"

Sam nodded and then turned and headed downstairs to wait.

She always knew there was a reason why she kept a spare pair of jeans and a
clean shirt in her studio. Grabbing the set of clean clothes out of the locker
in the back of the room, Moria quickly washed up, changed and then ran a brush
through her hair. Exactly ten minutes later she was coming out of the front
door of the visual arts building, pausing only long enough to look for Sam.

Leaning against his silver Mustang, Sam watched as Moria bounced out of the
building and then waved when he saw her looking for him. "Ready to go?" He
asked as he opened the car door for her.

Moria nodded and slipped into the smooth tan leather seat. "So where are we
heading?"

Climbing into the car, Sam turned the engine over and smiled when the car
purred back at him. "Wasn't sure until you said you liked to drive fast. I know
of this long strip of road in the middle of no where. Wanna see how fast this
thing can really go?"

"Yeah!" Moria cheered. "I've always wanted to see what a car like this could
do."

Sam grinned as he revved the engine and then tore away from the building and
off campus. They drove through the city and chatted about the best places to
eat and the plays that were running in the theaters.

"Oh I like this song!" Moria giggled as she turned up the music that had been
playing in the background, and then started to sing a long.

Not only was she pretty and smart but she was fun, and Sam who'd been a loner
most of his life, actually found himself enjoying her company. He laughed as
she sang along to the song, her grey eyes gleaming.

Catching Sam grinning at her, Moria blushed. "What?"

"Nothing." Sam replied turning his full attention back to the road.

"Don't tell me you've never seen someone sing along to a song like that." Moria
teased.

Sam laughed as he shook his head. "My mother does it all the time."

"So what was that look for?" Turning the music down, Moria settled back into
her seat and watched as Sam turned onto the highway.

"What look?" Sam teased.

Moria rolled her eyes. "That grin."

"Oh that look." Sam smiled. "You looked cute."

Moria blinked and blushed again. "Oh."

For the rest of the ride out to the strip of road in the middle of no where,
Moira had a silly smile on her face. She couldn't believe herself. She was
flirting, joking, and having a good time with a guy, a guy who was partly
Romulan. This didn't bother her at all, to her Sam was simply Sam, just like
Joseph was simply Joseph, but in the back of her mind she wondered. Would her
parents or siblings or anyone else in her family have an issue with Sam?

Sighing inwardly, Moria rolled her eyes. Your friends nothing else, what the
hell are you worried about?

Sam finally pulled the car over and pointed out the windshield. "Nothing for
miles."

Moria smiled. She was actually familiar with this area, having covered quiet a
bit of the region with her family. "I think we came out here once so my
brothers could launch their toy rockets."

"Your family came out here a lot?" Sam asked as got out of the car to stretch a
little.

Moria got out as well. "Every summer. It's home. Least it is to some of us."

Sam smiled.

God she loved his smile.

"Ready to give it a test drive?" He asked.

Moria nodded and climbed back into the car, making sure to buckle herself in.
Sam climbed in and once again revved the engine. He pulled back onto the road
and slowly started to speed up. Moria switched her gaze from the climbing speed
on the dash readouts and the road. At their fastest the car was going well over
one hundred miles an hour. It felt like being on one of those rides at an
amusement park.

"Hold on, lhhei." Sam called out.

Moria giggled.

Dropping the car to way below one hundred, Sam turned the wheel hard causing
the tires to screech as it made the U-turn. Once he had the car straight again
Sam gunned it, getting the Mustang to well over one hundred again.

By the time the car slowed and finally came to a stop, Moria was breathing
heavily and her heart was pounding in her chest. "That. Was. So. Cool!"

Sam laughed as he tried to catch his own breath.

Once the two had calmed down and the car had cooled down, Sam drove them back
to the city at a leisurely speed. Pulling up in front of Moria's dorm he got
out and walked her to the front doors. "Thanks for coming along."

"It was a blast. Thanks for asking." Moria smiled and then started to go
inside.

"Hey Moria?"

Turning Moria looked at Sam and smiled. "Yeah?"

"Have dinner with me next Friday night."

Moria beamed. "Sure, I'd like that a lot."