[ussbansheec] "First Sight"

  • From: "Moria Grace" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:37:07 -0400

"First Sight"
Moria McEntire
*Oked by Liz

The main lighting in the liberty was soft, but the gold lamps with their long
green glass shades cast bright light down on the books, padds, and papers that
were nestled on the tables they sat on. The room was a creepy kind of quiet,
with an occasional rustle of a page being turning, or a few taps of a stylus on
a padd screen. Heading down the aisle between two long rows of tables, Bianca
spotted her prey. Walking up to the very last table she dropped into the chair
across from the girl and pulled the text book out from under her nose.

"I thought I'd find you here, Rojo."

Moria looked up into the dark eyes of her roommate and blinked. Bianca was a
year older then Moria, with long jet black hair, dark brown eyes that almost
looked black, and skin that was a golden tan color that made her look as if she
spent all day in the sun. "I'm not doing your English paper, Binks."

Bianca laughed. "That's not why I'm here, Rojo."

"It's not?" Moria asked.

Packing up Moria's stuff, Bianca smiled at her friend. "I'm here to get you out
of this stuffy old library. There's a party on the beach tonight and your
coming with me."

"I am?" Moria asked as she watched Bianca put her things into her bag, pick the
satchel up and hand it to her. "Hey careful with that I've had it since I was
in the fourth grade." Taking the bag from her friend, Moria put it over her
shoulder and sighed. "Why do you keep trying to drag me to these things?"

"Because the whole college experience thing involves more then just getting a
degree." Taking Moria by the hand, Bianca lead her out of the library and back
towards their dorm.

Moria just shook her head and sighed as they climbed the stairs to their fifth
floor dorm room. Once in the room she set her bag on her desk and then flopped
down on her bed and watched as Bianca went through her closet.

After picking out a couple of outfits for Moria to pick from, Bianca went over
to her and started fussing with her shoulder length red hair. "You've been here
for three months and haven't done anything fun yet."

"I go hiking nearly every weekend. " Sighing inwardly as Bianca fussed with her
hair, Moria resolved herself to having to go to this party. She really wasn't
the party type, not since her run in with Manny Velez, but if going to one got
Bianca off her back for the rest of the term then it would be worth it.

"That doesn't count. You do it alone." Bianca fussed.

"I like being alone." Moria replied.

Bianca laughed. "No you don't, no one does, especially a someone who's spent
her whole life around people."

By the time she and Bianca got to the beach the party was already in full
swing. There was music playing, bon fires burring, tables set up with food, and
coolers packed with ice and drinks. As soon as they stepped onto the sand, a
group of their friends came up to them, one of them handed Bianca a bottle of
pale ale, and another handed Moria a can of soda. They all were well aware that
Moria didn't drink, period.

"I can't believe you got Sister Mo here to come out of the convent." Tyree
teased.

Tyree was six foot three and broad shouldered, but it didn't stop Moria from
smacking him in the arm. "I am not a nun."

The captain of the school's rugby team just laughed as he patted Moria on the
head. "Whatever you say half pint."

"Bit me Johnson." Moria replied with a smirk.

Tyree smiled, "No thanks half pint, though they're nice endowments, they're the
wrong endowments for me."

"Yeah, our big man prefers the hot dog to the bun." A freckle faced boy with
hair the color of Moria's chimed in. He slipped his arm around Tyree's waist,
and snuggled into his side.

A pale dark haired girl snorted. "Then why in the hell is he seeing you
Francis?"

Frank glared. "Go suck a cock, Jasmine."

Jasmine smiled. "Sure, can I brow his?" She winked at Tyree.

"Your all hopeless."

Moria turned to see a young man with honey colored skin, dark hair, and a
Bajoran nose walking towards them. She smiled as the fire light caught his ear
ring and the colors in his tribal tattoo just right making them each seems as
if they were shimmering. "Noah!"

Noah Ellis was Moria's best friend. He was four years older then her and had
filled in perfectly as a surrogate brother. Walking over he picked Moria up and
hugged her as he swung her around. "Good to see you too, little hummingbird."

"Why do you call her that?" Jasmine asked.

Noah smiled and Moria blushed. "Because she speaks as fast as a hummingbird
flaps it's tiny wings."

"Oh." Jasmine replied, clearly expecting a deeper meaning from the senior.

Rolling her eyes at her friend, Moria looked back at Noah. "How's your mother?"

"Still grieving the loss of her father but she's surrounded with friends and
the tribe, and my grandmother stayed instead of going back to Bajor." Noah
answered.

Moria could tell that her friend was still grieving himself, but Noah would
come to her when they were alone to talk about it.

Slowly the group started to break up until it was just Moria, Bianca, and Noah.
The three of them sat in the sand near one of the bon fires talking, laughing,
and watching some of the others dancing. Moria watched Noah and Bianca and
smiled. She wondered if Noah would ever work up the nerve to ask her roommate
out or if they were doomed to flirt forever.

"Hey Hummingbird! Hey Cuz!" Came a call from down the beach.

Both Moria and Noah stood and turned, Moria smiled as she watched a young man
who was so clearly part Romulan come towards them. "Hi Joseph."

"Hello Hawk." Noah took the boy's arm in a firm grip and smiled.

Joseph smiled at the sight of one his oldest friends. "It's good to see you
back again, Grey Wolf."

Noah nodded. "They send their best wishes."

Joseph nodded his understanding that this wishes were from the tribe.

While Noah and Joseph were exchanging pleasantries, Moria's gaze fell upon the
young man standing next to Joseph. Like her friend this one was clearly part,
if not more, Romulan. He was tall and broad shouldered, his hair was jet black
and cut short, and his eyes were a honey color that Moria'd never see before.
They're eyes locked and Moria couldn't bring herself to look away.

"Jolan'tru." The young man said.

Moria smiled. "Hello."

There was a moment were they just looked at each other before the young man
bowed his head a bit. "Samual tr'Illialhlae."

"Moria McEntire." Moria replied. There was another simple moment between them
before Noah's voice broke through.

"Another Rihannsu fly-boy." Noah teased as he held out his hand.

Samual took it and shook Noah's hand firmly. "Much to my mother's dismay, yes."

"Mothers tend to worry no matter what we choose to do." She'd never looked at a
Romulan, half or whole, like this before. His eyes held her own once more and
she forgot how to breath for a moment. "I'm clueless and mine still worries
about me."

"Annoying isn't it?" Samual asked.

Moria nodded. "Very."

Noah watched Moria and the new comer closely and then nudged Joseph in the
ribs. "Come on Hawk lets go get a couple drinks."

Moria barely noticed her friends leaving. "So your in Star Fleet then?" Could
you have come up with a lamer question?

"That's the plan." Samual answered. "But ask me again after the wash out period
is over."

"Wash out?" Moria asked. "I thought they only did that with Special Ops."

Samual shook his head. "Flight School and Officer's School if your an NCO
looking to pip up."

Moria blushed. "I should have known that. Half my family's in Star Fleet."

"Ah but I bet that you know things that half your family does not, so your
even."

He smiled and Moria nearly melted. What the hell is wrong with you McEntire?
Your acting like James whenever he sees a pretty skirt!

After a few moments of surprisingly comfortable silence the two of them fell
into a light conversation about school and life away from home. Samual told her
about his Romulan father who taught at the academy, about his Human mother who
worked at the Romulan embassy, and about his younger sister. Moria told him
about her parents, about her brothers and sisters, and about her extended
family.

As the evening worn on the air began to get cold. Moria shivered a little and
suddenly wished that she'd picked her blue sweater rather then the blouse she
had on.

"Are you cold, lhhei?" Samual asked.

Moria nodded. "I hadn't planned on being here this late." She smiled at him.
"I'm glad I stuck around though."

"As am I." Samual replied as he took off his long sleeved shirt and pulled it
around her shoulders. "Would you like to go and get some coffee to warm up
with?"

"I'd like that very much." She answered as she stood up and wrapped the shirt
around herself a little tighter.

Noah watched as Moria and Samual left together and smiled. He'd of course check
this guy out, but if Joseph trusted him enough to call him a friend then he had
to be ok.