[ussbansheec] Mr. Lynley and Mr. Lynley

  • From: Andy Maluhia <CaptainAndy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:27:22 -0400

As Nat watched his only son packing to leave their Bromley home for Starfleet Academy, he couldn't help but think that there might have been a time when he would have been the one escorting their son to the Academy himself.
~~~~~~~~~~
Rosie had been having a good time at the wedding even though she'd gone without a date. Lindsey looked so happy with her John and she knew she was a sucker for happy fairy tale endings. The reception had just started, though, when she caught sight of a tall dark haired, very handsome man talking to Lindsey. He was in formal uniform like many of the other guests but she couldn't see his rank from where she was. As soon as he left Lindsey's side, Rosie fairly flew across the floor to her former ship mate.

"You /have /to tell me who that was," she stated. "He's gorgeous!"

Lindsey's eyes followed to where Rosie's were looking and she laughed out loud. "That's Nat. He ain't John but, yeah, he's easy on the eyes. Sounds like something out of an old holo novel, too. Come on, I'll introduce you."

Before Rosie could object, she was pulled across the room to where Nat had just picked up a drink. His dark eyes immediately took in the new face and he had to smile. The thought struck him that the locks of white hair that framed her face made her look like she wore a halo. She's an angel! He was about to say something when another voice called out to Lindsey. Offering Rosie an apologetic shrug, the bride dashed off.

"It seems Lindsey's gone and left you with a complete stranger," Nat said, still smiling warmly. He held out his hand. "Nathaniel Lynley. Pleased to meet you."

Rosie had been staring up at him, entranced by the warmth of his eyes and his accent, but she remembered to shake his hand. "Rosemary Le Beau." She blinked as she caught sight of all the ribbons and awards on his uniform front and then his collar brass as well. "You're the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet! You can't be the same guy she spent half the war complaining about. You should hear half the things she said."

Nat laughed delightedly. There was a decided twinkle in his eye as he said, "Oh, I am definitely that same man, Rosemary, and I have no doubt what she said to you was no where near as ripe as what she said to me. I will have to take the bride to task, though. She never told me how very lovely you are."
~~~~~~~~~~
Alfred Talmadge stared at his brother-in-law and shook his head. "Natty boy, how long are you going to sneak around with that girl? Why don't you maker an honest woman of her already?"

Nat leaned both elbows on the bar surface then glanced over his shoulder to where Rosie sat in a corner booth. Dancing in New Orleans' French Quarter. Strolling through London's Hyde Park. Relaxing in Alfred's pub. They'd been dating for quite some time, ever since the wedding, and always some place other than San Francisco.

"Alfred, old man, do you have any idea what sort of chaos that would cause? Admiral Ross isn't exactly the warm fuzzy sort," Na said with a shake of his head. "I've got twenty-five years in and I love my job. He can't touch me but he can make life hell for Rosemary."
~~~~~~~~~~
He stood a strict attention in front of Malcolm Ross' desk. Ross looked from Nat to the desk then back up at Nat. "What the hell is this, Mr. Lynley?"

"My rank pins, though I would like to actually keep them as a remembrance. You may consider this my resignation from both my position and the Fleet," Nat said simply, as calm and unflappable as ever.

"What? What the hell's this about, Lynley? You can't just up and leave the office of Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet!"

"I believe, Admiral, that I just did. I suggest you ask Admiral Fishler as to what he thinks are my reasons. My yeoman has all the necessary paperwork filed so, if there's nothing further, I'll be off to home. I've got a wedding to be at."
That had been ten months before Amanda and Catherine, his and Rosie's first set of twins, were born. By then, Nat was happily helping his brother-in-law run the pub while Rosie continued her stint at HQ. In another five years, when Nat was fifty, their second set of twins, David and his sister Sarah, were born.

"Something wrong, Dad?" David asked as he realized his father was watching him.

Nat smiled and shook his head. The boy looked so much like him except that his eyes were his mother's hazel ones. "No, son. I was just being a sentimental fool, watching my only boy going off to become a grown man. Mum will be waiting for you at the terminal there. You'll not be wanting your new mates asking why your grandfather's seeing you off."

"Ah, leave off that sort of rot, will you, Dad? You know we love you and I bet there are still tons of people who know you: the most excellent Master CPO ever," David said as he draped an arm around his father's shoulders. "Besides, you're like Nanna used to be. Hardly any gray at all."

"I'm proud of you, David. Mum and I both are," Nat said as he gave his son a one armed hug.

"Ah, so you're not angry with me because I'm leaving you alone in the house with nothing but women?" David asked, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"I certainly am, you disrespectful brat" Nat chuckled as he mussed his son's hair. "Now let's be off with you, David. We can't have you late on your first day."