[ussbansheec] Just Hummingbird and Hawk

  • From: "Moria Grace" <bansheec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ussbansheec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:10:35 -0400

"Just Hummingbird and Hawk"
Moria McEntire-McKenna (Hummingbird) and Joseph Swiftwind S'Ghaladriel (Hawk)

Smiling softly to himself as Evelyn once again disappeared from the Mess Hall,
Joseph pulled himself to his feet. He felt his heart tug a little every time he
saw her now, it was the weirdest and sweetest feeling he'd ever had. Kinda like
family, he thought, only more primal. Chuckling at his own idiocy, he sauntered
out and made it to the turbolift before changing his mind.

"Deck three, please." The computer bleeped cheerfully in response. Moments
later, he was standing outside the Counselor's office and ringing the chime.

Sitting behind her desk, Moria stared at all the sudden appointments she had.
It seemed as if everyone on the ship was freaking out. How do I console them
when I'm afraid of the same things they are? Looking up at the row of framed 2D
pictures on her desk; Moria sighed and sat back in her chair. When her chime
rang she sat up again and quickly put her 'counselor's mask' back on. "Come
in."

Swinging into the room, Joseph beamed at Mo. "Hey there, Hummingbird, you got
time for an old friend between seeing to needy people?"

Moria's eyes lit up the moment they took in Joseph walking into the room.
Getting to her feet quickly she walked over and hugged him. "I always have time
for you, Hawk you know that."

"Ah but you're the great Counselor now," Joseph said as he squeezed her
tightly. "And I'm but a lowly potential patient. Though, right now, I think I'm
one of the few people who's actually cheerful. Me and Andy." Not letting her
go, he walked them over to the couch and plopped down, pulling her onto his
lap. "And, I might add, for the same reasons."

"Well, I know for a fact that Andy is walking on cloud nine because of my
beautiful baby sister." Moria beamed and then looked down into her friend's
eyes. "So does this mean that my lone Hawk has found someone to soar with?"

Blushing pea green, Joseph giggled lightly. "I hope so. I'm not sure yet..." he
shook his head. "That's not true, I'm sure. I'm way past sure and heading
towards adamant, I just have no idea how she feels about me. Which, other than
seeing one of my best friends, is why I'm here."

"Is this an official thing, cause if it is I really should get off your lap. I
don't normally conduct sessions this way." She laughed cheerfully, a rare thing
these days, then kissed his forehead. "Or is this just Hawk and Hummingbird."

"Just Hawk asking his friend Hummingbird for advice and about the particular
someone he's fallen in love with." Cuddling her against him, he sighed
contentedly. "Besides, I like this, it feels just fine. Maybe... some day
soon..." he blushed, "Evy will be here instead of you."

Moria's eyes grew wide and a crooked smile broke out on her face. It's can't be
my Evy. "Did you say Evy?"

"Err... yeah. Evelyn Hale. She's a First Lieutenant in the Marine Company
aboard." He gave her a confused look. "She said you were cousins. That's kinda
why I'm here, I thought I'd ask about her and stuff. Aren't you cousins then?"

Moria laughed, her crooked smile becoming a full blown grin. "Do you remember
all the times I brought up my Nanna Lindsey?" When Joseph nodded she went on.
"Nanna Lindsey is Evy's mother." She thumped Joseph on the chest playfully.
"This is brilliant! Of all the people on this ship for you to fall in love with
you pick my cousin."

Rubbing at where she'd hit him, he pretended to be wounded. "Call the doctor,"
he whined, "I think you broke something... oh no, that's my broken heart when
she runs a mile from the freaky hybrid."

"Evy's not like that, Hawk." Moria replied softly as she rubbed where she'd hit
him. "If she cares about you your being a hybrid will mean as much to her as
Sam being one meant to me."

Sighing a little, he set his head on her shoulder. "Man, I still miss him. I
remember talking to my Ri'nanov at the time and she told me that sometimes it's
worse having a long life, it means you have longer to miss people in." During
the last year of their courses, Joseph had finally told Moria about his
father's death and all the events surrounding it. That was why he knew that his
mother would grieve for a very long time. "You know, when we fall in love,
Rihannsu I mean, it's for life. It's a very rare thing to find one of us
remarrying after our spouse has died."

I miss him too. "It wasn't easy for me you know." Moria replied aloud as she
looked down at her wedding ring; Joe's ring instead of Sam's. "I love Joe, but
there's no doubt in my mind that it would be Sam I'd be looking forward to
going home to if he hadn't have taken that assignment."

"I'm sorry, Hummingbird. Sometimes I think I should have taken it instead that
way you'd have him." And very few people would actually miss me... Then Evy
trickled into his mind and he found himself doubting what he'd believed for so
long: that he really should have died in Sam's place.

Moria shook her head. "Don't say that, Joseph. Things happened the way they
were meant too happen."

"I know," he said quietly. "Funny thing is, right now I'm glad for the first
time in a long time that I'm alive."

"I've always been glad you are." Moria smiled softly. "And I bet Evy will be as
well. So come on, tell me about you and my little cuz, and I'll tell you
everything she'd died over if she knew you knew."

Joseph beamed, his cheeks turning the colour of new leaves. "I met her a couple
of days ago in the Mess Hall, we had dinner together, chatted and suddenly
three hours had gone by. It's happened a few times now. Well, by a few, I mean
four times exactly. We just seem to spend all our free time together, it's
weird." Looking across into nothing, he stared wistfully at the wall. "She's
sweet and soft, generous and gentle, she just never shows anyone that. Her
mnhei'sahe is pure and unquestionable. Even the public image of the hard-ass
Marine is a reflection of her true honour. I'm in love with her," he finished
simply.

Moria was impressed. "You know Hawk, not everyone in the family sees her that
way. Even some of them tend to buy into only what they see. It says a lot that
she's let you really see her."

"You think... you think she might feel at least a little bit the same then?"
Joseph asked hopefully.

"If she's spending so much of her personal time with you I'd have to say she
was feeling something." Moria answered. "Evy's not the type to put her time and
energy into frivolous things."

"She's serious and yet light-hearted all at the same time," he agreed. Biting
his lip in a very Mo-like way, he said, "What's she like? I mean around her
family and friends."

"Depends on who's around." Moria leaned back and thought about Evy for a few
moments, a slow smile appearing on her face. "She's a free spirit as Noah would
say, but she controls just how free she is around certain people. She's never
fake though, no matter what part of Evy your getting it's always genuine Evy.
She loves fiercely and normally conceders it her duty in the family to be one
of the protectors. Heaven, the Prophets, the Great Wolf and whoever else is out
there help the person who dares to harm someone she loves, cause Evy won't
hesitate to stomp the shit out of them."

Throwing his head back, Joseph laughed loud and long. "You know, I hate to say
it but my sister was right: the more I learn about this woman, the more I love
her."

"So why haven't you talked to her about how you feel?" Moria asked with a
smirk. "Not that I don't like being the first to know, but in all fairness to
my baby cousin, who can kick my ass by the way, don't you think she should know
all this?"

"Because I don't know how she feels and if she doesn't think of me this way
then it'll kill me." Joseph was absolutely serious. There wasn't a chance that
there was someone else like Evy for him out there. It was her or no one.

Wrapping her arms around him Moria asked. "Want me to talk to her? Feel out the
situation?"

"Please." He sank against her and closed his eyes. "But if she doesn't even
know I exist, could you not tell me? I don't wanna hurt quite that bad right
now."

Moria smiled then kissed Joseph's forehead again before covering his mouth with
one hand and tapping her comm. badge with the other. "McKenna to Hale. Hey
Sweetpea you got time to have dinner with me tonight?"

Evy blinked as she hit her badge. "Sure thing, hun. When and where?" Damnit!
And I wanted to see Joseph again tonight. I hope he don't get offended when I
don't show.

"My place say in an hour?" Moria asked.

"Okay, I'll be there." Cutting the connection, Evy huffed out a breath. "Ain't
even time to pop over and say hi to him."

"Guess that means I'd better go and make myself scarce, huh?" Joseph asked
Moria.

Moria smiled brightly. "Or you could come home with me and give Evy one hell of
a shock."

"Great, she'd get a shock, run a mile and never talk to me again.' Shaking his
head, he slid her to her feet and stood up. "Sorry, Hummingbird, I'm not ready
for that particular parade of pain."

Moria couldn't help but laugh. "You didn't run from my mother when she found
out you did my tattoo, yet you run form my cousin who your in love with." She
shrugged and then hugged him. "There's another good reason for you and Evy. You
can finally stop all that shameless flirting with my mother." The pain of
missing her family was bright in her eyes before she blinked it away.

"Oh now, Doc Mac and me, we're just meant to be together." Chuckling, he
wrapped Mo in his arms and held her tightly. "I miss them too, you're family,
mine, Andy's. I, er, kind of argued with Nightwalker the day before I left. I
was so angry but now... Great Spirit, I wish I could take it all back."

"Must have been a lot of that going around." Moria said softly, suddenly
holding Joseph as if he were a life line. "It's like having a thorn in your
heart."

Squeezing his eyes closed against the sorrow he felt, he said, "Tell me."

"Mummy and I had a fight about James before I left and I walked away from her
and out of the house without a word to her. Now she thinks, according to Vix,
that she's pushed me away." Moria explained.

"And now we're so far from home and neither of us can fix things," he
whispered. His arms tightened again, just holding off from crushing her. "But
we will, I trust Grace to get us out of this."

"I'm not sure how much longer I can keep having faith, Hawk." Moria admitted.

Pulling back, he lifted her chin to look into her eyes. "Do you have faith in
me?"

Moria nodded. "Of course I do."

"In my heart," he lifted one of her hands and placed it over the beating organ,
"and in my soul, I know we will get home. My dreams are dark but they end with
light and life. Trust me, we'll get there."

She'd learned a long time ago to take heed in Joseph and Noah's dreams. "Then
we'll get home."