[Umpqua Birds] Vaux's Swifts

  • From: "Diana Wales" <dianawales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 10:39:15 -0700

The annual southern migration is well underway.  Last evening (9/1),
approximately 480 birds entered the Clay Place chimney behind the Arts
Center in Fir Grove Park beginning a few minutes after sunset.  It was a
warm, calm evening, so there were seemingly no birds in the sky until around
7:30.  Had I bothered to get out my binoculars, I imagine I would have found
them high in the sky filling their little bellies with insects.  In any
event, the sky was rather suddenly full of birds circling and calling, doing
their usual fly-over of the chimney mouth until suddenly dropping by the 10s
and 50s into the chimney for the night.  The height of the migration is
generally around September 15th, but we should have good numbers now through
the end of the month.  The display generally starts 15 to 30 minutes before
sunset - so come by for a lovely nature show.  Audubon will be hosting Swift
Watch Wednesday and Friday evenings through the end of the month, and the
Umpqua Valley Arts Association will be offering "kid art", so bring the
family, and maybe a picnic to enjoy on the park lawn.

Diana Wales