[Umpqua Birds] Vaux's Swifts

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 22:38:16 -0700

A week or so ago Beth Brown reported a roost of about 200 Vaux's Swifts in
Laurelwood. We wondered if these were non-breeders or a mixed group of
young and adults (e.g. family groups). Last Thursday Beth, Diana Wales,
Mark Hamm, and I went by the roost in the evening to take a look. I had to
leave before most of the birds went down the chimney (the others stayed to
watch), but I looked at probably a hundred birds as they were flying
around. It appeared they were mixed, with about 25-50% adults. This seems
to suggest they are just family groups bunching up in preparation for
migration. I took a few photos, hoping to illustrate the difference in the
wing pattern of the adults in molt versus the young of the year. You can
see those here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157635029904595/
Notice the even shape of the wing on the young of the year, and the uneven
shape of the wing on the molting adult (due to missing/regrowing flight
feathers).

Happy Swifting,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR