[Umpqua Birds] Re: Night sounds

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 21:45:15 -0700

Keith and All. Your description of the call and timing sounds perfect for
the Swainson's Thrushes. A couple mornings ago I heard a few at about 0600
out the bedroom window. Their typical flight call is higher-pitched and
more drawn out than the typical short "whit" they give while poking around
the thick brush in the woods during the day. However, they sometimes give
the whit call in flight and do the wheee call on the ground (it's not
exclusive to one or the other, just one is predominant).

In areas where there are a lot of Swainson's Thrushes migrating, you can
hear them most of the night. This is much more common right along the
coast. Many years ago I was camping out (sleeping bag thrown on the sand)
on the North Spit at Tillamook (between the bay and the ocean) and we heard
Swainson's Thrushes most of the night. Anyone going on the Umpqua Valley
Audubon coast campout on Sept 19-21 at Tugman State Park (
www.umpquaaudubon.org) should have a good chance to hear Swainson's
Thrushes at night.  Otherwise, as with the chances of running into any
other species of migrant during the day, it can be somewhat hit and miss. I
heard them two days ago at our house, but not the last couple mornings.
Haven't heard any this evening. But we'll see.

Have a good night,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR