[Umpqua Birds] My house and yard birds......Re: Request for Info: Yard Birds

  • From: Mikeal Jones <franajones6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 19:54:08 -0700

Hi Matt,

We have a small but richly planted yard (thank my wife Connie) of Maple,
Rhododendron, Bamboo (House Sparrows love it), vegetables, and ornamentals of
all heights and textures. We don't feed birds, but our neighbors do (millet,
niger, sunflower seed, and corn on the ground for Eurasian Collared Doves-don't
ask). Here is what we see in the yard in SE Roseburg, in decreasing order of
abundance:

Dark-eyed Juncos in the raised vegetable garden beds, in trees and shrubs
especially in winter
Western Scrub Jays attacking neighbors' cats (yay!) and raising 2-3 broods,
scratching ground,
House Sparrows roosting in untended lots, Butterfly Bush, Bamboo, thick cover,
Black-capped Chickadees working the branches of trees,
Eurasian Collared Doves for the last 5 years or so, increasing, cooing at dawn
from February to         October, and screeching as they take flight or land,
or just fly over
European Starlings perch on the highest trees and poles, on wires, or roost in
thick cover
Lesser Goldfinch, perching and singing in trees around feeders next door,
Yellow-rumped Warblers in trees,
House Finches, especially singing near feeders next door,
Turkey Vultures February through October over SE Roseburg,
Vaux's Swifts overhead SE Roseburg April through October,
American Robins perched in nearby trees, singing at dawn year round,
Ruby-crowned Kinglet working the branches of trees and shrubs,

Less common (one or two a week) are:

Western Kingbird on power poles and transformers in Spring and Summer,
Song Sparrows year-round on the ground in the garden,
Hermit Thrush hiding in the shrubs most of the year,
Osprey squabbling overhead in Spring, above Southeast Roseburg and South Umpqua
River,
Northern Flicker in Rhododendrons and other shrubs,
Downy Woodpeckers on the same old Big Leaf Maple that draws other woodpeckers,

Very occasional birds include:

Red-breasted Sapsucker on an old Big Leaf Maple that attracts other woodpeckers,
Chestnut-backed Chickadee on yard shrubs and trees,
Cooper's Hawk, I hope picking off House Sparrows,
Western Wood PeeWee in a mature Red Maple tree,
Violet Green Swallows nested one year,
Golden Crown Sparrow on the ground,
Norther Harrier overhead SE Roseburg,
Sharpshinned Hawk preying on songbirds,

I'm sure there are birds I've missed, but eBird helped me remember when and how
often these birds appeared. Mikeal

Mikeal Jones
Constance Frana
mikealjones@xxxxxxxx