[Umpqua Birds] Request for Info: Yard Birds

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 13:23:52 -0700

Dear Umpqua Birders,

I am working on a part of the Umpqua Birds website (www.umpquabirds.org)
that will give photos and quick info on the most common birds in backyards
(or any yards) of Douglas County. I would like your help. I would like some
"real life" data from your yard. Here is my request: Could you reply to
this email with a list of the most common birds you have in your yard, and
which feeder(s) they use, if at all? For example:

Dark-eyed Junco--common at seed feeders
White-throated Sparrow--average 1 per winter at seed feeder
Lesser Goldfinsh--common at thistle feeder
White-breasted Nuthatch--seed and suet feeders
Anna's Hummingbird--hummingbird feeder
Varied Thrush--on ground under seed feeder
Red-tailed Hawk--flies around nearby
Red-breasted Sapsucker--one on pine tree most winters
Western Tanager--see every spring in trees in yard but not at feeders

If you want to tell me more, such as "only in summer" or something like
that, feel free, but something like the above examples would be greatly
appreciated. If you have photos of your feeder/yard birds that you would
like to share, let me know. I will acknowledge all contributions of
yard/feeder lists and photos that I use to make the website.

Feel free to reply to the whole list or just to me. I think most folks
would be interested to compare their yard "bird community" with others.

For my purposes I would appreciate these within the next couple weeks if
you would like to contribute. Thanks!

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR