[uae] Re: uae/winuae/whateveruae (was Re: No mouse in fullscreen)

  • From: Bernd Schmidt <bernds_cb1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:22:43 +0100

Toni Wilen wrote:

You wouldn't never accept anything anyway except if it has been double
and triple checked and 100% guaranteed to be perfect. No wonder UAE
development got too slow. I guess all filters and autoscale and stuff
that users WANT is your so called crap because it technically is not
needed and can be considered bloat.

YOUR CRAP IS NOT MY CRAP.

When I say "crap" I primarily mean changes that don't change functionality, but make the diffs huge and hard to read for no good reason at all:
 * unnecessary whitespace and formatting changes
 * things like the patch that adds a "regs" argument to all CPU
   functions
 * unnecessary added casts in lots of places
 * Code mangling for Windows Unicode braindamage, crapping non-portable
   Windows stuff all over the supposedly portable core code.

This kind of thing is just inconsiderate, unsurprisingly when your own stated goal is to do what you want without the bother of working with others. Since you also don't send me patches with explanations of what's being fixed, I've occasionally tried to go through digging expeditions through the diffs to find usable changes, but since it's so hard because of things like the above, it invariably leads to burnout after a few days.

Some of the new features aren't problematic, if something lives in its own file like akiko.c and doesn't add a lot of intrusive code elsewhere, I don't mind. What I object to is new features implemented in the quickest way possible without consideration for portability (e.g. the incredibly awful AHI stuff, which totally ignored the existing sound abstractions). Also, new features that expose a user-visible interface (e.g. in the config files) that isn't thought out properly and precludes any further improvement (the inputdevice stuff comes to mind, which I find way overdone with a terrible interface).

We ("we" what?) are not developing something like Linux Kernel that
needs high coding standards, especially if there is only something like
max 3 people in the whole world that really knows UAE and Amiga hardware
inside out..

It's not a small toy either. I vehemently disagree with the notion "we don't need high coding standards" for a project of this size, and I think this one of the core problems why we can't work together. Yours is an approach that only works in one-person projects.

Bernd