[uae] Re: uae/winuae/whateveruae (was Re: No mouse in fullscreen)

  • From: Daniel Pimley <uae@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 19:03:51 +0100

On 25 Jun 2009, at 16:02, Bernd Schmidt wrote:

So you claim both that you don't know anything about it, and that it is labyrinthine and badly documented?

After your reply to me you complained to Toni about changes he made to WinUAE for which you don't understand the reason. Does this mean Toni's changes are not documented adequately? QED. (No judgement and no offence meant, Toni.) I also have the impression from banter with Richard that sometimes he wasn't sure why the E-UAE code did what it did.

Perhaps I am wrong - if so I apologise.

I can easily think of half a dozen people or more who've written display and audio drivers for UAE in the past. These things are abstracted out, and there are multiple simple examples in the tree. IMO it's trivial.

Perhaps I am wrong again. Though surely swapping these things means a complete re-compile of the source code? This is not what I imagined Fabien was speaking about (perhaps I got that wrong too.) I imagined a system that would allow a generic UAE core binary to be compiled and distributed separately from the display/audio/GUI modules. The UAE core would serve raw video/audio output to these modules to be rendered in a nice optimised platform-specific way. Same with GUIs.

If you're capable of writing a GUI, what stops you from adapting the code in gtkui.c to provide your command pipe? It's really not rocket science.

I understand the fundamentals of programming but I am not a programmer, or a rocket scientist. The Mac GUI is written in Applescript Studio.

Peace, Love, Power,
Daniel Pimley