[uae] Re: uae/winuae/whateveruae (was Re: No mouse in fullscreen)

  • From: Daniel Pimley <uae@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:34:40 +0100
On 24 Jun 2009, at 10:51, Fabien Meghazi wrote:

I think that adding modularity through plugins
for video/audio, etc ...
would allow real amiga hackers to delegate stuff and concentrate on
the amiga emulation stuff only.

Hi Fabien,

I don't know anything about UAE's guts so I don't want to get involved in any arguments with angry developers. However this idea of a modular environment makes perfect sense to me. How many developers are there reading this list who have the knowledge to write high-quality platform-specific display and audio drivers? I'll bet a few, and I'll bet they get the Fear just thinking about the *-UAE source code.

It is ironic that, if Toni and Bernd were abducted by aliens, probably no one else in the world could fully understand *-UAE's source code. One day in the future a programmer might try to understand it, but because the code is so labyrinthine and so badly documented it's like archeology. Sounds like the story of Amiga emulation, doesn't it? : )

1) Other GUI toolkit because 1) they look alien compared to other
Windows programs (see Java Windows GUIs..) 2) need huge libraries that
nobody has installed by default.

I guess that macosx users could say the same.
I don't think the GUI would be the same on *nix and windows. But if
the GUI is seperated as  branch/plugin/whatever then
it should not be a problem for anyone. Each platform could have it's
own gui in it's platform branch.

Toni: Fabien's proposal would mean there was *not* a need for "huge libraries" (I assume you mean cross-platform layers or interpreters.) I'd dearly love to delete SDL from my Mac.

Fabien: for some time I had been nudging Richard Drummond to create some kind of command pipe for E-UAE so that my GUI, Hi-Toro, could interact with it better. Your idea is more ambitious than this, but could deliver wonderful improvements for all users not running on Windows (which is well-served by WinUAE.)

Best regards,
Daniel Pimley