[uae] Re: [rfc] gtk+ gui layout

  • From: JusTiCe8 <justice8@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:02:44 +0200

Hi,

Richard Drummond wrote:

Hi Martin

[...]

So far though I have been concentrating on improving the quality of the
code and have done little to change the look of the gui.  Before I change
anything in this area I want to see what others think

I think the current layout could be improved quite a bit. 9 tabs for
configuration is too many especially considering some have very little on
them (eg. sound, graphics, chipset, gameport)

I agree. I was actually thinking about using a listview to pick pages rather than a tab.

Personnaly, I prefer tabs in ui, I like them and I don't think it's confusing.

I don't plan to just start arbirtarily moving things around but for
example I don't think most users care about the distinction between
"graphics" and "chipset" and they could be one tab just called "graphics"

Agreed. I was going to move the p96 memory settings to the memory page - and merge the graphics and chipset pages.

Also, cpu and memory options could be on one panel together IMO.

I don't know about this. Comments, anybody?

Maybe floppy and harddisk tabs could be merged together, as all memories in only one, also perhaps CPU+Chipset and, why not, sound.

In some panels, Richard already made some changes to use drop downs
instead of radio buttons for some things. I plan to make further similar
changes to save screen space and make the gui look less busy.

Good.

Does anyone have any comments about any of this or further ideas and
suggestions?

One other thing - I was considering dropping support for Gtk+1.2. The only real reason I was hanging on to this was I had hoped that the osx-gtk port might work. It doesn't, and probably won't any time soon. I would therefore vote for moving the GUI to GTK+2 entirely. This would make it cleaner and let us take advantage of the new features of Gtk+2.

In my mind, I don't think dropping soon Gtk+1.2 support will be good. I know I think just about people like myself who use something like Debian/Woody. Also I'm volonteer to continue Gtk1.2 support if more UAE users prefer next generation. Or maybe I will upgrade myself :).

About XML, I don't know really it but I'm not sure it is so good, I prefer to see if it's give us something better to make my opinion.

Regards,

JusTiCe8.