[uae] Re: [rfc] gtk+ gui layout

  • From: "Keith G. Robertson-Turner" <uae-freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 06:14:12 +0100

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 03:43, Richard Drummond wrote:

> On Sunday 04 April 2004 08:20 am, Martin Garton wrote:
> > I have been doing some tidying up of the gtk+ gui code in uae, some of
> > which I have already sent patches for to this list.

> > I think the current layout could be improved quite a bit. 9 tabs for
> > configuration is too many especially considering some have very little on
> > them (eg. sound, graphics, chipset, gameport)
>
> I agree. I was actually thinking about using a listview to pick pages rather
> than a tab.

I like tabs. I wouldn't want it to become as confusing as WinUAE though,
with multi-layered tabs - half the time you don't know where you are.

I think ultimately the best approach is moving to XML for both the
config and the GUI layout, that way you could have a kind of vfolder
layout with icons for each subcomponent, and buttons for "back" "up"
"home" etc, similar to the way Webmin or GConf works now. It would also
open up the possibility of an independently user-customisable GUI, and
make the addition of any future configuration modules a lot easier and
cleaner.

However, that's maybe a more long term goal.

--
Regards,

K.