[uae] Re: Mission: Adjust e-uae for convenient HTPC use

  • From: Ivo Couckuyt <iv0co@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 00:02:43 +0200

i believe amiga doesn't work with a simple gfx buffer/resolution. (someone confirmed it and said Mr. Wilen had a long rant about it some

time ago)

so to be short, i don't think there is anything simple for determining the screen size...

ot: (sorry for hijacking your topic a bit, but speaking of this.)

is it possible to change the uae window in a proper (read non-hacking) way ? like adding hd and floppy leds ?

daniel åkerud wrote:

On 7/7/07, *daniel åkerud* <daniel.akerud@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:daniel.akerud@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 7/2/07, *daniel åkerud* < daniel.akerud@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:daniel.akerud@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        I'm on a mission to make e-uae work good from my sofa on a
        Sony Bravia LCD TV, with nothing but a pair of gamepads in my
        hand and occasionally a keyboard. The goal is to have as few
        reaches for the keyboard as possible. I use MythTV as
        front-end to my HTPC and the mythgame plugin works perfectly
        with e-uae. Here are my current identified problems (some
        solved, some not):

        Problem 1 - Resetting and especially shutting down e-uae using
        the gamepad (SOLVED)
        Reaching for keyboard (R12+Q) is tedious. I solved this one by
        hacking into the sdl/joystick code. A combination of keys is
        needed so that it is not reached by accident. I actually tried
        very hard to do this properly, but I gave up after a few
        hours. The qnd solution was to hijack
        jd-sdl/joystick.c/read_joy() and keep all the states by
        myself. I would love some advise here. Is there already
        support for this deep somewhere in the code? I'd love to make
        a _proper_ patch with some guidance.

        Problem 2 - Proper fullscreen (SOLVED)
        This one is already solved with a quick and dirty hack to
        sdl/opengl code. It actually makes the texture larger in order
        to stretch the amiga-screen as large as possible. It is a very
        ugly hack. I'm very interesting in what Drummond is doing in
        this area. ( Hi! :) )

        Problem 3 - Insert Disk 2... (UNSOLVED, tonights problem!)
        Some games doesn't use secondary drives. Reaching for F12+F1-4
        is acceptable, but using the mouse is not. MythGame
        automatically senses that the game has N disks and inserts all
        into the proper drives. My idea is to have a combination of
        keys to cycle the drives. Drive n becomes n+1, etc (Only cycle
        drives with diskettes inserted). I will use the code from
        Problem 1 here, but I need to find out how to cycle floppys in
        code. Tonights challenge! Any hints appreciated.

        Problem 4 - Changing input (UNSOLVED)
        Some games wants you to use JUST those keys that you
        conveniently have mapped to emulate a joystick on keyboard.
        And some games want to you press right mouse button when you
        have a joystick there... My idea here is to somehow be able to
        cycle input-system for port0/1 with the gamepads.

        Problem 5 - On-Sreen-Display, OSD (UNSOLVED)
        Most of these problems could benefit from OSDs. That is,
        cycling diskettes in drives or input-systems could really
        benefit from some feedback to the user (hey that's me!). A
        temporary solution perhaps could be to launch KDE's (or
        another WMs) OSD functionality. I think KDE has a command-line
        program to show OSDs, although this is very far back in
        memory. I will try to delve into this ASAP. Perhaps Drummond
        is thinking about this already, with the reworked graphics
        API? I'm thinking OpenGL and transparent stuff :-D

        Anyone has any more interesting stuff to add, please do! e-uae
        with mythgame is wonderful already and can only become better :-)

        BR/D

    I am now more or less finished with my mission, except number 4
    which I no longer consider a goal since I just spoiled myself with
    two new gamepads. Here is a screenshot where the game Chuck Rock
    asks me for disk 2 in drive 0. I press <magic combination> on the
    gamepad to cycle the disks and you get feedback on the
    On-Screen-Display. Moments later I press fire to continue and the
    game continues to load. Perfekt!

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9794374@N07/748041265/

    Richard, I need some help. In gfxsdl.c, how do you find out the
    actual current amiga screen width/height and also the width of the
    borders (seems not to start drawing at (0,0))? I currently have it
    #defined, and it works in many games but not all (seems to
    change...). I'm not well versed with amiga hardware but it seems
    it doesn't only have one resolution :-)

    BR/D

I want to clarify the question above. I have a picture here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9794374@N07/749852158/

This is fullscreen on a 1280x800 screen with my hack disabled. How do I find out where the amiga screen starts, from top left, and the width and height? From there, I can stretch properly in OpenGL. Like I said before, currently I have #defines for this but it only seems to work for most of the games, not all.

Thanks,
Daniel