[uae] Re: General questions about e-uae

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:17:53 -0400

Hi Toni

On Thursday 26 July 2007 17:00:21 Toni Wilen wrote:
> There is no MMU patch (and there really can't be) that is compatible
> with JIT (at least JIT-direct),

Yep. You don't have the freedom to remap memory when running JIT-direct on a
32-bit machine. On a 64-bit machine it might work since you can have a full
32-bit address space all to yourself . . . but probably not worth the effort.

> btw, MMU is very low priority feature, it is useless with 99.9% of Amiga
> programs (Linux/Unix/etc does not count, you can use other platforms to
> run those much better and faster), virtual memory is not needed under
> emulation and enforcer-like debugging stuff can be emulated without real
> MMU emulation and finally, CPU emulation speed will be quite unusable
> with MMU..

Yep. I know. In fact, I think Alex is only about the second person to ask
about it in about 4 years. ;-)

> HDF IDE (A600/A1200 and A4000) and SCSI (A590/A2091, A3000, CDTV SCSI
> expansion) is emulated. IDE is very compatible, SCSI still has some
> compatibility issues with gururom, Commodore's drivers do work.

Cool.

Richard Drummond

Web:  http://www.rcdrummond.net/
Mail: mailto:evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx