[uae] Re: General questions about e-uae

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:42:33 -0400

Hi Alex

On Thursday 26 July 2007 04:50:42 alex wrote:
> 1) Is it possible to mount an ISO image as a cdrom, if so how?

Not at the moment. It might be a nice feature to add, though.

> 2) Will kickstart 3.1 support booting from cd's?

The simple answer to that question is no. CD-ROMs don't have an RDB and
there's no ISO9660 filesystem handler in ROM, so you can't boot from a CD. As
Andrews says, it may have been possible with some SCSI adapters. I have a
vague recollection of the the Cyberstorm PPC having this feature, but I never
used it.

> 3) Is there any MMU support yet? I want to try and install amiga port of
> netbsd, googling the subject just takes me to posts that are
> several years old saying there is an MMU patch.. surely by now its been
> added?

E-UAE doesn't have an MMU emulation. I keep meaning to have a look at that
patch you mentioned, but AFAICR it didn't work with the JIT, so it's not just
a straight merge.

To be able to do anything useful with BSD or Linux (beyond booting a RAM
disk), you'd also need emulation of some disk adapter hardware (for obvious
reasons the current virutal filesystem and hardfiles won't work if you're not
running AmigaOS in UAE). I know Toni's been working on a Gayle emulation (the
Gayle implements the IDE interface on the 1200 and 4000), but I haven't
merged this into E-UAE yet.

Richard Drummond

Web:  http://www.rcdrummond.net/
Mail: mailto:evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx