[uae] Re: GUI tweaks, JIT sound jitters, and cpu freq scaling.

  • From: Lem <l3mming@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:45:13 +1000

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 02:05 -0500, Richard Drummond wrote:

> I'm going to re-do the floppy path widgets so they support the history of
> disk
> images inserted - adding keyboard input as you suggest shouldn't be a problem
> then.

Can shell-style auto-completion be included aswell? (like Nautilus does,
and also KDE apps like K3B) I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking
about, in the case of K3B, the application puts in a possible path (as a
selected area of text), and the user can hit tab to complete the
suggestion, or just keep typing. In old GTK2 and GTK1 file requesters,
simply hitting tab worked like a shell does (either is good, however the
latest GTK2 file requesters *really* suck, no keyboard input possible!)

> >  Now, JIT and sound don't work very well here together. I'm running
> > E-UAE on 32bit Debian Sid (AMD Athlon64 3000+ with all the bells and
> > whistles), GCC 3.3.5, and Linux 2.6.9-ac11..
>
> Hmmmm. Has this gotten worse or has it always been a problem on your set-up?

Hasn't gotten worse, still the same.

> Yes. You mentioned this before. My best idea for a solution at the moment is
> to implement an option which makes E-UAE use the standard system clock (via
> the gettimeofday() function) for timing  - it uses this on hardware other
> than x86 and PPC at the moment anyway. I wonder if there's some way of
> detecting that frequency scaling is enabled - to save the need for the config
> option. I don't have a system which does frequency scaling at the moment, so
> this is something that I need to investigate.

gettimeofday() yep, i think that's what i have selected for timing in
the kernel configuration (Linux), since i use frequency scaling, so
can't use CPU cycles.

As for detecting if frequency scaling is enabled, umm.. stuff happens in
this directory on my setup: /sys/devices/system/cpu/, and available
frequencies are listed
in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies .

I guess just using gettimeofday() would be cleaner, no need to have
workarounds for specific scenarios, just works :)  (or so I assume,
hehe)

Thanks,
Lem